VACANCY: COUNTRY REPRESENTATIVE – SYRIA
Location: Syria, Damascus
Job Title: Country Representative
Starting date: March 2019
Monthly gross salary range: 3500 – 4500 euros
Expected duration: 12 months renewable
GVC- Civil Volunteer Group, has been working in Syria since 2011 and is currently carrying emergency projects in WASH and Education sectors funded by Italian Embassy, UNICEF and UN - OCHA. Within this framework, GVC recruits a Country Representative with strong experience in promoting and managing emergency programmes and disaster/development linkages with specific experience in remote management capacities and tools.
The Country Representative purpose is to lead and supervise existing projects, develop new programs and coordinate operations in Syria for GVC within Emergency, LRRD and Developmental framework. He/she must be willing to travel extensively among Lebanon and Syria, develop new working opportunities, development of sound relations with key players.
Main functions and responsibilities
Country office leadership (25%)
· Lead the elaboration and implementation of the country strategy.
· Recommend and/or determine priorities and supervise the implementation of project work plans as well as supervise and ensure quality of project reporting to donors.
· In collaboration with the relevant staff in GVC Syria organigram, establish annual objectives and targets, performance measurements, standards and results expected to ensure timely and partner oriented deliverables.
· Operate within the defined limits of authority on matters of Finance, Procurement and Human Resources and subject to any limits or conditions that may be imposed as per delegated authority.
· Support HQ in planning, recruiting, managing and developing a flexible workforce with the skills and competencies needed to ensure optimum performance, and ensure gender and geographical diversity.
· Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
· In consultation with the Security Officer support the duties on security as outlined in the GVC Security manual.
Partnership development (25%)
· Keep abreast of and assess the needs of the national government and other GVC partners operating in the country, to identify and plan with them areas for leveraging GVC services/competencies in project delivery.
· Build and strengthen strategic partnerships in the country through active networking, advocacy and effective communication of GVC competencies in project service delivery and management to develop opportunities and engagements with new partners.
· Develop a comprehensive partnership and programme plan in line with GVC Country Strategic Plan and Regional Strategies to grow the pipeline opportunities in Syria.
· Examine risks and opportunities presented by the strategic positioning of GVC in Syria and propose appropriate responses to ensure sustainable operations.
· Lead the identification, design, formulation and negotiation of new projects and programs and draft concept notes and project document briefs for discussion with partners.
· Assist the HQ to maintain public/media/donor relations to actively engage their interest/support in promoting and communicating GVC achievements, competencies and interest at global level.
Programme Management (25%)
· Manage and oversee the preparation of programme documents (including business cases/strategies, policy briefs, programme plans and risk assessments).
· Implement internal performance and quality control systems for in-country programmes including tracking, monitoring and reporting on project delivery and financials.
· Evaluate performance to measure efficacy and alignment of the country with the organizational/regional/country strategies and compliance with GVC standards of accuracy, transparency and accountability and to ensure that service delivery reinforces business development objectives.
Representation and advocacy (15%)
· Represent GVC in Syria and be responsible for the management of host country relations and GVC interests in dealing with government, international and local organizations, networks and media in the Area Programme.
· Represent GVC in strategic meetings, conferences, forums and other public events and contribute towards consolidating and raising the profile of GVC.
· Develop and strengthen relationships with local organizations and networks and establish national and regional strategic relations and alliances with partners and civil society working in common cause with GVC objectives.
· Maintain good partnerships relations at National and International levels.
· Promote GVC's organizational identity and capacity to all stakeholders and partners in Syria and ensure GVC remains relevant to the changing needs of disadvantaged people in the country.
Knowledge management and innovation (10%)
· Contribute to the development and introduction of innovation to ensure GVC is continually incorporating best practices approaches in the delivery of regional portfolio.
· Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for corporate development planning and knowledge building.
· Contribute to the planning, implementation and organization of strategic capacity building of personnel, partners and stakeholders.
· Establish priorities, in consultation with the Regional Coordinator, for targeted investments in growth and innovation, contribute to identification and implementation of innovation and continuous improvement in support of organizational excellence and world-class performance.
An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political Science, Development Studies, International relations, Project Management.
Knowledge of main donors’ policy and procedures (UN Agencies, ECHO, Europeaid, Italian Cooperation).
Project Development and proposal writing.
Project Management Cycle.
Valid and clean driving license.
Essential experience and personal skills:
Minimum 8 years’ of relevant experience in working with NGO or International Organization with increasing responsibility.
At least 2 years of previous experience in the same position.
Fluent in written and spoken English;
Good communication and leadership skills
Ability to perform under stress condition
Capacity to autonomously work and in problems prevention/resolution
Ability to think strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results.
Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers / leaders.
Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues.
Strong interpersonal relationships and demonstrated ability to leverage business networks and partnerships for continued growth.
Demonstrates integrity by modelling the NGO values and ethical standards.
Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Computer skills, in particular MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS Project
Previous experience in Middle East countries would be considered an asset
Knowledge of Arabic would be considered an asset
Previous experience in working in the sector of Education, Protection would be considered an asset.