Do you believe that everyone deserves access to affordable, quality healthcare? Are you driven by creativity, bold ideas, and disruptive innovation? Are you inspired by exceptionally talented, diverse, impact-oriented colleagues? Do you thrive in a dynamic, high-growth, fast-paced environment? Most importantly, are you fed-up, even disgusted, with the status quo of foreign assistance in the health sector? Then consider a job with ThinkWell.
ThinkWell is a growing, flexible health systems organization, with both global influence and local grounding. Our focus is on driving transformation in the global health space by always questioning and disrupting conventional wisdom about what works or what can or cannot be done. We develop solutions tailored to a client’s context and political realities and do not replicate global models and all-purpose solutions and believe in pragmatisms over ideology. We know that to drive change, we must focus on how the world could be, rather than making excuses for the status quo.
ThinkWell is looking for a Country Office Finance and Accounting Manager to oversee in-country operations. Responsibilities include providing oversight and training to the in-country Finance and Administrative staff and Country Directors in monthly reviews, identifying areas for cost reductions and operational improvements, annual budget process, periodic forecasting, overseeing the development of country office manuals and guiding periodic analysis of operations performance. This position reports directly to the Finance and Accounting Director.
The successful candidate will have experience working in international finance and accounting experience with an international development organization and a desire to be part of an exciting and growing team. S/he should have a demonstrated track record of academic excellence and, ideally, have professional or personal experiences relevant to this position. This is an opportunity for the right person to develop their accounting skills and gain experience working independently and on global teams across the organization
- Ensure proper internal controls are in place and operating effectively in accordance with company standards and government, donor regulations.
- Provide financial and accounting guidance and train local staff.
- Oversee financial practices performed by office Finance and Administration staff.
- Establish monthly closing and reporting schedules for county office finance and administration staff in the beginning of the fiscal year and ensure such schedules are successfully met during the year.
- Oversee the process for recording and reporting of in-country transactions to ensure compliance with the company’s established policies and procedures.
- Oversee the service center funding transactional cycle for grants, travel, and other advances to ensure that the transactions are reconciled in a timely manner.
- Ensure adequate documentation for transactions incurred out of country offices– timely verification and reporting of Service Center Reports receipts and certifications.
- Identify potential in-country finance issues, research, and work with country office staff to
- Initiate and lead in-country finance special projects for process improvements or cost savings.
- Work with in country staff to prepare for external audits and internal in-country audits as required and appropriate.
- Work with finance administration staff to prepare and update operational manuals for country offices. Prepare trainings for staff on operational processes and procedures.
- Provide support to program audits and in-country financial reviews.
- Supervise the day-to-day responsibilities and help mentor and coach US based country office staff accountant.
- Provide ad hoc reports and duties as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
- At least 7 years of experience working in international development.
- International accounting experience required.
- Minimum five years of related experience is required.
- Knowledge of GAAP and International Accounting Standards.
- Must be proficient in QuickBooks, MS Excel, and Word.
- Experience working with country office start-up and close-out preferred.
- Experience managing financial programs preferred.
Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
Native or complete fluency in written English required. Fluency in French or other romance language a plus.
Ability to travel at minimum 30% annually.
Who you are
- Excited to challenge existing status quo.
- Committed to modeling a work culture that strongly espouses individual authenticity, radical feedback, intelligent failure, and collective impact.
- Comfortable working in a collaborative environment and look for team success rather than individual rewards.
- Able to flourish in a dynamic, often chaotic, organization that fundamentally values iteration and evolution over stability and predictability.
- Track record of working with teams and mentoring staff.
- Proven ability to work well with diverse staff at all levels.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience working well under pressure.
- Willingness to travel is essential, including to low-income countries and fragile states.
- Ability to multi-task and to be effective in high-pressure situations.
Open to and empowered by critical feedback.
Able to externally represent and convey ThinkWell’s passion, conviction, impatience, anger, and desire to see change.