The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic Country Manager to oversight the project activities at the country level to guarantee the delivery of donor commitments. This is a great opportunity to contribute to agricultural transformation in Bangladesh working closely with government and commercial partners from several sectors to improve potato value chains as pathways to more resilient, nutritious and profitable agri-food systems in Bangladesh.
The position: This position will be based in Dhaka, Bangladesh and will report to the Regional Director for Asia. The scientist will be engaged primarily in the implementation of project related research activities in the region, to strengthen potato research in a holistic manner by interlinking specific disciplines into a systems approach. The scientist should be committed to using research for development in a complex cooperative environment of research and development partners, specifically focusing in capacity building of partners in a PPP approach, in alignment with CIP’s regional priority setting.
· Working closing with the Regional Director, and regional team to develop a strategic direction and plan for the country program.
- Actively seek business opportunities to raise funds by creating innovative alliances and partnerships with the private sector across the country to contribute with CIP’s mission.
· Working closely with project Principal Investigators (PIs) and Global Program Leaders to coordinate integration and implementation of in-country projects, aligned with strategic country plan.
· Provide leadership on potato science for the country, and provide inputs on research operations at country level, aligned to the research pipeline.
· Ensure that structures and systems follow CIP standards, and that they support program delivery and promote management coordination and efficiency throughout the country.
· Provide feeds revision and update the Strategic Corporate Plan with country information during the year for CIP across regions to ensure proper effectiveness of CIP strategies.
· Play the role of institutional representation at country level with donors, partners, regional fora and networks, programmatic meetings/institutions, CGIAR regional meetings, to support projects.
· Provides Input to CIP’s business plans and oversees implementation at country level to guarantee the proper delivery of the milestones.
· Provide input on real needs in research opportunities at country level to feed the research pipeline in order to support new projects portfolio decisions.
· Articulate with Operations in Region and HQ and coordinate linkages with other centers and CRP's, at the country level to ensures integration and coherence at the country level-knowledge sharing.
· Identify key country partners, build and develop partnerships based on country activities, interact with partners at a country level, be the country focal point for global partners in coordination with Regional Director to collaborate with CIP’s Capacity Building on Operations.
· Identify cross project learning opportunities, cross country learning opportunities to ensure knowledge sharing within the country.
· Identify and manage risk at country level to guarantee proper CIP operations.
· Monitor operations team (facilities, IT, procurement, communications, budget), quality and quantity of resources in compliance with policies, procedures and standards (CIP's and donors) to support project portfolio.
· Manage and coach the country team to ensure the effective staff management framework, contribute to their performance reviews and identify succession and development plans.
What are we looking for?
· PhD or MSc degree in agronomy, seed system or related field, preferably in potato or sweetpotato.
· At least 6-8 years of professional experience at a senior operating role in a global research organization or business enterprises in multiple countries.
· Demonstrated project management, financial reporting, and management experience.
· Demonstrated success in working within inter-disciplinary teams and partnerships for research implementation.
· Excellent leadership skills to promote effective collaboration within the team and across partner organizations.
· Experience working in developing country context is required; specific experience in Asia is an advantage.
· Strong publication records consistent with years of experience;
· Proactive, innovative and creative attitudes;
· Willingness and ability to travel extensively.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Bengali are required.
Why should you consider this opportunity?
· CIP is an international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background.
· CIP is a recent World Food Prize Winner, and CIP has been recently awarded the Al-Sumait Award for our Orange Flesh Sweet Potato work in Africa.
· CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender equality for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world.
· CIP is a member of the CGIAR, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.
What are we offering?
· Great career opportunity in an international organization.
· Generous compensation package commensurate with experience.
· Three-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
· Work in an equal and diverse workplace.