Are you a strategic leader, passionate about creating impact through sound long-term analysis and potentially disruptive change? Do you have considerable experience in strategy development, external relations and an ability to lead diverse teams to create new impact for displaced populations?
Uganda is the largest host of refugees in East Africa. Its approach to servicing the needs of refugees is bold and long term.
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been implementing projects for internally displaced persons and refugees in Northern Uganda, West Nile and South West since 1997. NRC Uganda seeks to refine and grow its work in the country in support of and learning from the Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF)
NRC is an implementing and operational partner of UNHCR and the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM), charged with coordinating the refugee response. To achieve the required results, NRC Uganda works with government, UN agencies, the Private Sector and local and INGOs.
We are seeking an experienced leader to join NRC in Uganda as Country Director, to build NRC’s programme portfolio and structures in arguably the most progressive refugee hosting context in the region.
The Country Director position is the overall responsibility for the country operation.
The Country Director is overall responsible for:
- National representation and coordination
- Development and execution of country strategy
- All in-country activities, personnel and the Country Management Group (CMG)
- Safety and security of all staff
- Country level advocacy
- Resource allocation and mobilization
- Cost efficiency and quality, including implementation of control mechanisms
- Adequate country structures and systems
- Learning, training and development of all staff, including a strategy for national staff development
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Ensure effective collaboration with government and donors at national and sub-national level to ensure mutual learning and influencing for greater impact of Programme investments.
- Development of partnerships and collaborations with external actors, including National NGOs, the private sector and academic institutions.
- Oversee the development of appropriate new strategies that will ensure new routes to impact at scale, including the incorporation of technology, media and institution building.
- Develop and share learning on the implementation of the CRRF for the country Programme and the wider organization/sector.
- Lead teams in ensuring Programmes are designed and negotiated to deliver in Hard to Reach area
- Oversee and coordinate the Programme portfolio to ensure the highest level of project quality, accountability and developing innovative Programme interventions.
- Lead the country team and our networks to ensure all staff are motivated and have the opportunity to fulfil their potential.
- Ensure women and minorities are served by all Programmes and adequately represented at all levels of the organization.
- Represent NRC in Uganda and be responsible for the management of host country relations and NRC interests in dealing with government, international and local organizations, networks and media
- Ensure effective implementation and compliance with all procedures as required by the organization, national and donor regulations and standards
- Oversee adequate implementation of the performance management system including performance objectives and planning, review, appraisal and staff development
To apply, please visit www.nrc.no, then go to vacancies
About the position:
Reports to: Regional Director
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Salary & Benefits: NRC offers a competitive compensation package
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization's core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activity. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NRC is an equal opportunity employer with no discrimination in terms of sex, religion, ethnic origin or political affiliation. Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.**