Country Director - Somalia
As a member of the East and Southern Africa Senior Leadership team, you will have shared accountability for Save the Children’s international development and emergency programming in the region of approximately $430 million each year through an organisation of over 5,500 people. To achieve our ambitious goals and breakthroughs for children, the leadership team will, in collaboration with Save the Children Members and in conjunction with the other regional organisations, aim to drive global growth to $2.7 billion by 2019.
The Country Director will lead the Emergency responses, whilst also delivering Save the Children’s strategy within the country through: -
* Delivering quality programmes, including advocacy, for children; and
* Ensuring world class stewardship of resources from Members and their donors
Save the Children has worked in Somalia for 68 years and currently have 550 staff across 14 offices:
Hargeisa, Boroma, and Burao in Somaliland; Bossaso, Garowe, Gardo, and Galkayo in Puntland; and Belet Weyne, Adaado, Abudwaq, Baidoa, Dhobley, Kismayo, and Mogadishu in the Southern States.
In 2019, we are relocating our head office from Nairobi, Kenya into Somalia. Save the Children Somalia implements large-scale humanitarian and development programs, with an annual budget of about $100 million. Each year, we reach millions of children and their families in Education, Health, Nutrition, Water, Sanitation, Hygiene, Food Security, Livelihoods, Child Protection, and Child Rights Governance programs.
As always, we aim to reach the most marginalized and deprived Somali children, focusing on:
(1) Children affected by displacement (IDPs, returnees, refugees);
(2) Children in hard-to-reach areas (rural, pastoral/nomadic, coastal);
(3) Children amongst the urban poor;
(4) Children from ethnic/minority groups; and
(5) Girls and children with special needs.
Qualifications and experience
* Masters degree level qualification or equivalent length of experience in the sector
* Substantial experience of building, leading and developing a diverse team of senior staff to deliver on both development and humanitarian programs
* Experience of working with large, complex donors to secure and/or manage new large-scale and/or competitive funding
* Experience of managing a crisis situation requiring quick changes to priorities and rapid action to respond
* Experience of leading change in an organisation which has led to considerable results for the organisation and its stakeholders
* Experience of building personal networks at a senior level, resulting in securing new opportunities for the organisation
* Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy-in
* Good understanding of programme, financial and operational management processes
* Good understanding of key trends in international and humanitarian development
* Fluency in speaking and writing in English
* Commitment to the Save the Children values
* Experienced leader who has held senior positions in complex/high profile/ multinational organisations
* Demonstrable ability to recruit, lead and develop high calibre specialist senior staff with a range of backgrounds and expertise
* Strong track record in building high performance teams and future successors/leaders
* Experience of leading a large, highly complex organisation through significant change with clear business benefit
* Strategic thinker who is comfortable with developing highly ambitious business strategies at scale and the track record of delivering on these
* Ability to manage and motivate self and others to respond to a significant and complex crisis situation in extraordinary circumstances, requiring swift action and rapid changes in priorities
* Evidence of identifying and building strategic and effective business networks at a very senior level, which have resulted in clear business benefit for the organisation
* Innovative approach to solving a range of highly complex issues and galvanising buy-in to the solutions at all levels
* Highly developed political acumen and ability to navigate through complex political situations
* Strong and nuanced cultural awareness
Contract length: Open Ended
Location: Somalia/ Somaliland
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
* No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
* All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
* Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.