The Norwegian Refugee Council is looking for a highly experienced strategic leader to join the Ethiopia programme as Country Director. This is an exciting opportunity to lead one of NRC’s largest country programmes in the East Africa and Yemen region at this critical time. Our ideal candidate will have 5+ years of experience as a Senior Manager/Country Director in humanitarian/recovery contexts, and will be looking a role in which they will utilize their highly developed skills and experience in leadership, strategic thinking and management of complex programmes.
The Ethiopia Country Director is responsible for:
• National representation and coordination
• Development and execution of country strategy
• All in-country activities, personnel and the Country Management Group (CMG)
• Safety and security of all staff
• Country level advocacy
• Learning, training and development of all staff, including a strategy for national staff development
• Leading on the development of positive and effective working relationships with government at national and sub-national level.
• Ensuring effective collaboration with government departments to ensure mutual learning and influencing for greater impact of programme investments.
• Development of partnerships and collaborations with external actors, including National NGOs, the private sector and academic institutions.
• Overseeing the implementation of the regional programme ‘hallmarks’ in Ethiopia and the development of new routes to programme impact at scale.
• Overseeing the development of the Country Programme Emergency Response and Advocacy capacity and strategies.
• Leading teams in ensuring programmes are designed and negotiated to deliver in Hard to Reach area.
• Minimum first level university degree/bachelor’s degree in relevant field
• Minimum 5 years’ experience from working as a Senior Manager/Country Director in humanitarian/recovery context
• Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
• Knowledge of Ethiopia or the region is desirable.
• Strong understanding and appreciation of the role of influencing that goes beyond advocacy in bringing about change and impact at scale.
• Experience of managing complex programmes that operate in diverse and dispersed geographical and contextual settings
• Experience of leading the development of humanitarian programmes and competency
• Experience of leading security in an evolving environment.
• Experience of promoting innovation in difficult operating environments.
• Fluency in English, both written and verbal
• Strategic thinking
• Demonstrated ability to empower, build trust and lead a large team
• Highly developed influencing and negotiating skills
• Strong networking skills with the ability to build and maintain relationships
• Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
• Travel: 25%
• Contract Duration: 2 years, with possible extension depending on funding and performance
• Salary/Benefits: Competitive compensation and benefits package
• Preferred Start date: June 2019
• NRC may be required to verify the identify of its partners and check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activity. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
This vacancy is archived.
UNcareer.net - official telegram channel. International jobs and internships opportunities. Daily Update.Join Channel
UN career subscription. Get new vacancies and internships daily on your phone.Subscribe now