Background: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world's worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The humanitarian situation in Libya has deteriorated consistently over many months, with more than 2.4 million people requiring assistance, including over 400,000 IDPs and 250,000 refugees and migrants. In response, the IRC's Emergency Unit is launching emergency programming in Libya, starting with emergency health and reproductive health activities aiming to strengthen the capacity of the Ministry of Health and medical facilities. The IRC anticipates delivering these and future activities directly and in partnership with local civil society organizations.
The Country Director will provide the strategic vision and leadership for the country program. Given the operating environment, the Country Director is expected to be attentive to risk management. S/he is responsible for ensuring the design and delivery of quality programs, donor and government relations, fundraising and budget management, security and operations management, and developing a motivated and professional team. Reporting to the Emergency Unit's Deputy Director of Response, the Country Director will work closely with, and receive support from headquarters program technical units, safety and security services, finance and operations staff.
This position is currently unaccompanied and is based in Tripoli, with regular travel to Misrata & Tunis.
Leadership and Representation
- Lead the country program by maintaining open and professional relations with colleagues, promoting a strong team spirit and providing guidance, oversight and resources to enable staff to perform successfully.
- Initiate and sustain strong, mutually beneficial and authentic partnerships with Libyan organizations.
- Seek out and pursue opportunities to raise the profile of the work of the IRC and its partners in Libya, as well as the lives and the needs of the people the IRC seeks to serve.
- Play a leadership role in efforts to improve humanitarian response coordination
Strategic Planning and Management
- Working closely with the Deputy Director of Response, review and commence implementation of the emergency response plan for Libya
- Ensure that structures and systems are in compliance with IRC standards, and that they support program delivery and promote management coordination and efficiency throughout the country program
- Develop a context specific strategic action plan for the Libya country program.
Program Quality & Development
- Develop program strategies in accordance with IRCs mission and global strategic action plan (IRC2020)
- Ensure the consistent use of well managed assessment, design and proposal development processes
- Promote a team approach and positive learning environment utilizing headquarters, country program and operations staff and partners to consistently enhance the quality of design and implementation
Key Partner & Donor Relations
- Develop IRC as a partner of choice for major local and international donors, international and national NGOs and other humanitarian actors
- Develop and maintain a high level of understanding of donor priorities, country plans and planned funding initiatives
- Maintain and expand participation with key donors, host government, local stakeholders and relevant policy and coordinating bodies
Fundraising and Budget Management
- Ensure submission of appropriate, timely high quality proposals and lead required donor negotiations
- Monitor and identify appropriate sources for match fund requirements and coverage of funding gaps
- Provide timely and effective oversight of the financial position of the country program including identification and implementation of required changes to match funding levels
- Maintain effective and coordinated budget monitoring processes for grant funds and discretionary funds
Security & Operations Management
- In coordination with the Emergency Safety and Security Advisor ensure that the security management plan for the country program is updated and ensure the consistent monitoring and analysis of the security environment and adherence by all staff to the IRC security protocols and procedures
- Working with country senior management team ensure the development, implementation and monitoring of financial and operational policy and procedures to ensure constant compliance with IRC and donor policies across the program
- Promote coordination and teamwork between program and operations staff to improve quality of proposal submissions and program delivery
Human Resource Management, Staff Development & Retention
- Develop a positive work environment for all staff supported by a professional level human resource management function
- Support and hold management staff accountable for providing staff development opportunities and planning
- Work with regional HR staff to identify and implement recruitment and retention strategies.
- Graduate degree in relevant field;
- At least ten years of progressively responsible international work experience, including at least three years in a leadership role at the Country Director level of multi-site operations in a complex operating environment
- Extensive program development and fund raising experience, prior experience with European, US and international donors;
- Strong human resource management skills including capacity building and mentoring;
- Experience supervising and managing a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural setting;
- Demonstrated success in managing projects;
- Previous budget and fiscal oversight responsibilities;
- A keen understanding of political complexities in the region
- Ability to work and live in a sometimes insecure environment while maintaining a positive attitude
- Strong security management experience
- Arabic and English fluency required