Grade : Consultant
Reference : 001/2019
Duty Station : Various field locations (Chimoio; Beira etc.)
The screening of applications is done on an ongoing basis, so we recommend you to apply as soon as possible.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
On March 15 Tropical Cyclone Idai made landfall near Beira City, Sofala Province, in central Mozambique. The cyclone brought torrential rains and winds to Sofala, Zambezia, Manica and Inhambane provinces. An estimated 1.85 million people were in the path of the cyclone and are now in need of humanitarian assistance WFP’s emergency teams are currently responding to the impact.
Build WFP is seeking expressions of interest from professional humanitarian Head of Field Office consultants wishing to be considered for emergency response consultancies. Deployment will be to Maputo and Field locations within the Country.
For more on WFP and what we do, please go to http://www.wfp.org/videos/zero-hunger
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive):
- Manage and lead WFP field operations within the area of assignment to ensure timely and effective deployment of food assistance programmes.
- Hold accountability for the deployment of CO initiatives, policies and strategies.
- Effectively manage the Field Office to ensure transparent and efficient people management and the continued development of a cohesive and high performing team.
- Ensure efficient use of financial resources for achievement of set objectives.
- Hold accountability for the security of WFP staff, operations, premises and assets in the Field Office to ensure that WFP security and safety standards are locally set and followed. Actively participate and contribute to the Area Security Management Team (ASMT).
- Collaborate with governments and other partners in identifying where food assistance can be usefully deployed at the local level and provide support and technical expertise for the planning, formulation and implementation of food assistance programmes, including advice on the context-specific transfer modalities (food, cash or vouchers).
- Develop and coordinate data gathering and monitoring systems and conduct timely monitoring and evaluation activities. 8. Hold accountability and/or prepare accurate and comprehensive analysis and reports on WFP operations and performance with regular and timely submission for Area/Country Office review to identify programme support requirements and inform operational planning and decisions.
- Forge and nurture external partnerships to improve assistance packages and support complementary strategies; identify potential areas for collaborative approaches and initiatives.
- Develop and sustain liaison with local government authorities, international and local NGOs, UN agencies, donors, civil society, beneficiaries and other partners and media engaged in the field of food security.
- Engage with beneficiaries, inspect storage places and points where WFP commodities are received, in order to ensure compliance with WFP policies and that progress is made in the achievement of project objectives.
- Other as required..
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE:
- Has developed, or supported in the development of, multi-discipline work plans to support the achievement of WFP strategic aims within a defined area.
- Has gained experience in field operations, preferably in a hardship duty station or emergency situation. • Has field experience via field rotations or working in a sub-office, and through field postings.
- Gained experience of analysing political situations, assessing risk accurately and supporting managers and leaders in decision making that is sensitive to this.
- Gained broader exposure across areas within a function (i.e. policy, programme etc.)
- Has gained experience managing mid-size financial budgets, balancing multiple priorities effectively.
- Has experience leading a mid-size to large team to ensure the effective delivery of objectives.
- Participated in a vendor/government/ partner negotiation in support of broad function or Country Office requirements.
- Participated in a moderately complex emergency operation/ development programme.
- Has experience with security co-ordination and compound management within a mid-size area.
STANDARD MINIMUM ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS:
Education: Advanced University degree in Economics, International Development, Social Sciences or other related fields, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish. Fluency (level C) in Portuguese, WFP’s working language, will be an asset.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Qualified applicants will be placed in a pool and may be contacted as the needs arise for consultancy positions in Mozambique. Remuneration levels will be based on the specific terms of reference offered. Please note that consultants would most likely be placed in the heart of the response which may involve difficult living and working conditions. Consultants are independent hires and cannot be simultaneously employed by WFP and receive income or honorarium from other organizations, governments, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) or other. Consultants will be required to undertake a full medical clearance prior to being contracted and to undertake the UN related Security Clearances, training and WFP mandatory training on Standards of Conduct. This pool will remain active for 6 months.
Interested individuals meeting the above requirements are requested to apply on the WFP Career Website.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 5 May 2019