Position Title : Compliance Officer
Duty Station : Bogota, Colombia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 13 November 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
IOM started operating in Colombia in 1956. In accordance with its humanitarian mandate, it aids the Colombian Government and civil society by promoting an orderly flow of migration that will guarantee humane treatment of the migrants and ensure their well-being.
IOM broadened and increased its activities associated with the priorities identified by the Colombian Government and civil society regarding displaced and vulnerable populations in the country.
IOM conducts strengthening and coordination projects with the following government entities: Office of the First Lady; Social Solidarity Network (RSS); Young Colombia Presidential Programme; the Colombian Family Welfare Institute (ICBF); Ministries of Social Protection,
Education, Interior, Culture, and Justice; National Statistics Department (DANE); Attorney General's Office; Human Rights Ombudsperson's Office; National Police; Presidential Adviser for Gender Equity; and governors' and mayors' offices, among others.
Likewise, IOM coordinates activities with diplomatic missions such as the embassies of Belgium, Canada, Spain, United Sates of America, Holland, Italy, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland, among others.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (COM) in Bogotá, the successful candidate will be responsible for assisting with strengthening internal controls and maintaining compliance with financial regulations and rules through effective contributions to financial resource management and the provision of accurate, reconciled and documented financial information in IOM Colombia.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Monitor and track specific funding sources, transactions, and activities.
Analyse and interpret the financial policies of IOM and donors to provide recommendations for the resolution of a wide spectrum of financial considerations, in coordination with the Senior Resources Management Officer (SRMO) and, where applicable, the Senior Regional Resources Management Officer SRRMO of the Regional Office in Buenos Aires, the Panama Administrative Centre (PAC) and/or the Department of Resources Management (DRM).
Work with a collaborative, client-oriented approach consistent with IOM rules and regulations.
Strengthen internal controls by documenting and streamlining approval processes including control of accounts, control of cash management. Facilitate and support knowledge building and sharing in finance/accounting.
Undertake preliminary financial analysis of resources managed by the Mission and provide information to the Head of the Administration and Financial Resources, Programmes as well as Projects and Programme Units.
Track expenditures, and check and verify financial transactions, including extra-budgetary income in accordance with IOM rules and regulations.
Monitor financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and anomalies. Provide appropriate information to senior staff on potential issues with financial or operational risk when satisfactory information is not obtained.
Check compliance of operations with IOM rules, regulations and policies, and facilitate the implementation of corporate operational strategies and monitoring of achievement of results.
Monitor the implementation of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of the financial resources management system. Facilitate proper record keeping in Finance and facilitate responses to Audit.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting, Public Administration and Economics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Professional Accountancy qualification will be an asset.
• Experience at the national or international level in financial management including financial advisory services together with managing staff and operational systems;
• Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems;
• Experience with SAP a distinct advantage;
• Effectively applies knowledge of relevant financial discipline;
• Develops / follows internal control procedures to prevent fraud and mismanagement;
• Adapts financial, administrative and human resources practices to the requirements of IOM to facilitate the achievement of strategic objectives;
• Capacity to introduce adjustments to improvement procedures and process.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and Spanish is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.