- ensure timely coverage of priority issues and/or major events, including drafting information strategies, coordinating communication efforts within the Unit, monitoring and reporting on progress, taking appropriate follow-up actions, and analyzing the outcome;
- undertake activities to promote media coverage including, but not limited to press conferences, interviews, press seminars and other special activities of priority issues and/or major events, such as development of a media strategy and action plan, initiating proactive media outreach efforts;
- build information networks by interacting with journalists, other media representatives and followers, subscribers, and supporters of media networks;
- develop and sustain partnerships with internal and external partners for successful development and execution of the Unit’s media strategy;
- monitor media, analyze information and prepare reports in order to ensure outreach, engagement and growth of the Unit’s media coverage;
- produce and oversee production of Governance Unit media-orientated communication products (editorial writing, news writing, proofing, pitching, placement, etc.). Recommend appropriate information and communication materials for use in media and other communication activities; ensure effective design of communication products as well as their clarity, consistency and readability for the intended audience;
- ensure rapid and accurate information dissemination to the media;
- act as a News desk Officer for the Unit;
- collaborate closely with Country Office Communications Focal Point and facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing;
- prepare materials for printing in line with UNDP editorial and visual guidelines, advising on print solutions, coordinating with printers and ensuring delivery of final error-free agreed materials;
- perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Programme team.
- demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- knowledge of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to effective communications strategies;
- ability to coordinate and manage complex communication campaigns and events;
- ability to conceptualize and contribute to design of communication campaigns that target larger audiences;
- ability to grasp the development context/challenges in the country;
- conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
- remains calm in stressful situations;
- establishes effective collaboration and partnerships with officials at all levels inside and outside the organization.
- develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- identifies priority activities and assignments and adjusts them as required;
- monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience;
- demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Journalism, Media Relations and/or Communications related studies. Master’s degree is an advantage.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant work experience in the sphere of communication, public relations and/or journalism at national or international level;
- Relevant experience in working with UN, or other international organizations will be an advantage;
- Experience in preparation of articles, analytical reviews, reports and editing of publications and communications and broadcasting materials;
- Experience in organization of networking and events in connection to PR activities;
- Excellent computer skills, including Windows environment as well as other software required for the work delivery, including excellent skills within web-sites development;
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, including an established news-writing style;
- Ability to manage public relations initiatives from inception to event to follow-up and the ability to communicate confidently to members of the media and the public;
- Ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple priorities;
- Creative, decisive, responsive, able to work independently and take responsibility for decisions and outcomes.
- Proficiency in oral and written Russian and English is required;
- Proficiency in Kazakh is a strong advantage.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 12 months (with possible renewal)