- Responsible for coordinating the various RUNOs in order to implement the Spotlight Initiative Communications and Visibility Strategy and other advocacy and outreach related activities that falls under the Spotlight Initiative and amend as necessary;
- Attend meetings, trainings, seminars, field visits, etc. to document the Spotlight Initiative activities.
- Develop and/or update the Standard Spotlight Initiative Factsheet and PowerPoint Presentation;
- Lead the development of information materials including brochures, posters, press kits including press releases and success stories, audio/video productions, promotional materials, etc. for various audiences, including the intended beneficiaries at the grassroot levels;
- Assist the RUNOs and Joint Programme Coordinator in ensuring appropriate branding and visibility of the Spotlight Initiative, in line with the Spotlight Initiative and donor requirements, and coordinate clearance of communications products;
- Ensure that the One UN Website is regularly updated with Spotlight Initiative stories.
- Ensure the Spotlight Initiative’s presence on social media platforms, including the development of tools and creation/posting of content in coordination with the four RUNOs communications teams;
- Draft news releases, newsletters (including Quarterly Briefing Notes), correspondence or other information publications, and ensure the distribution of these outputs;
- Lead the design and printing process of the various publications developed under the Spotlight Initiative, including social and multi-media products that accompany research and publications. Collaborate in developing press and social media packages in accordance with publication or event schedules.
- Perform liaison work with external stakeholders, including media representatives, relevant international organizations, donors, the Spotlight Initiative Secretariat, the Government of Malawi and Civil Society, along with networking and programme representation in meetings, conferences and events organized externally and internally;
- Maintain and update the existing mail and email list of target audiences, and regularly provide information through those channels;
- Support the Spotlight Implementation Team in design and dissemination of tools and training materials for the programme’s capacity building elements, such as seminars, workshops and technical meetings;
- Carry out other activities as necessary, including editing and proofreading, development of Terms of References, assist in drafting of speeches and presentations, and support to external communications consultants (if applicable).
- Advanced Degree level university degree in communications, journalism, international relations, economics or other relevant discipline, or its equivalent, plus 2 years relevant experience
- First level university degree in communications, journalism, international relations, economics or other relevant discipline, or its equivalent, plus 4 Years relevant experience.
- Relevant professional experience in the field of public communication;
- Experience in the field of Sexual and Gender Based Violence, Harmful Practices and Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights is an advantage;
- Knowledge and experience of working with an international organization is an asset.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and Chichewa.
- Advanced working knowledge of relevant computer software including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and proven proficiency in one of InDesign, Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Photoshop;
- Excellent writing skills including in ability to nuance and adapt messages to diverse audiences;
- Proven skills in external communications and liaison and mobilization work with media and civil society;
- Good analytical skills;
- Ability to carry out assignments in accordance with instructions and guidelines;
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as a member of a team;
- Ability to work quickly to meet deadlines.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension