INTERN POSITION TITLE: Communications Support Intern
HQ DEPARTMENT: Comms/Development
REPORTS TO: Marketing & Comms Director
LENGTH OF ASSIGNMENT: 3-6 month initial commitment with the possibility of extension after review
START DATE: As soon as possible
NUMBER OF HOURS/WEEK: Minimum 40 (unpaid), 9-5 Mon-Fri
LOCATION: Chilmark, Wiltshire, SP3 5DU, UK
Team Rubicon UK (TRUK) is a small, dynamic international charity that takes highly-skilled, chiefly ex-military volunteers and deploys them to help those affected by disaster. We bridge the gap between the emergency and recovery phase with agile response teams mobilising quickly, providing life-saving support to the most hard to reach survivors. TRUK has a history of diplomacy and collaboration with local in country partners which has earned us trust and the ability to gain access. That, together with the unique skill and mind set demonstrated by our ‘GreyShirt’(GS) volunteer base allows TRUK to send teams into challenging locations, provide aid to isolated communities, going wherever the need is greatest.
TRUK’s communication capability is essential - we need to raise brand awareness, attract new volunteer recruits and attract financial support from a range of donors as we receive no government funding. The Communications and Marketing team oversees the implementation of all planned and reactive comms for Team Rubicon UK. This includes working with external companies to create impactful publications, website content, social media content and marketing materials to support our domestic and international operations.
OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE:
The operational success of TRUK so far has been incredible but to meet our rapidly growing commitments we are looking for dedicated interns to join our team at HQ. The successful applicants for this role will provide high quality support to the Comms Director and HQ team. Depending on the skills and interests of the applicant, and the needs of the organisation, the role may include a range of responsibilities from the list below.
- Work within a small, busy team to raise brand awareness and deliver effective communications with our supporters, volunteers, partners and donors.
- Copywriting, editing and publishing (e.g. press releases, newsletters, case studies)
- Monitoring and evaluation of communications campaigns and output
- Production of marketing collateral to support operations or fundraising/development
- Digital communications such as drafting blogs and website content, social media posts, electronic newsletters, internal comms
- Assisting with internal and external events
- Upskilling our network of volunteers on content creation, including photography and videography
- Excellent written English and strong attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and presentation skills
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Maturity and gravitas. Must be able to represent TRUK in a highly professional manner.
- Flexible, resourceful self starter, happy to work under own initiative and as part of a small team.
- Ability to dedicate minimum 40 hours per week with flexibility during operational periods
- High computer literacy (MS Office, Google Drive, other online suites).
- Excellent research and organisational skills.
- Confident in all social media channels
- Quick learner and open to learning about the breadth of comms within the charity
- Ability to focus in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent research and organisational skills. Experience of working in an office setting.
- Familiarity and/or interest in humanitarian assistance, and project management
- Relevant experience in communications/marketing/event management/social media/content creation
- Academic qualifications in marketing, communications, media, PR or event management
- Knowledge of Photoshop and/or other graphic design programmes
YOUR LEARNING EXPERIENCE:
By volunteering with us we are offering the opportunity to be part of Team Rubicon, developing our operations and development capabilities to make a real difference. Working within the team offers great opportunities and a range of skills development to enhance your CV.
Please note that this is an unpaid internship, however TRUK may be able to assist with accommodation solutions. We recommend all prospective candidates to seek financial assistance either from their academic institutions or seek outside fellowships, grants and personal resources. TRUK do not sponsor individuals applying for internships to help them obtain visas.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Field deployments may be arranged for TRUK interns at the mutual agreement of the intern and TRUK.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the post-holder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. TRUK may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.