Position: Communications Consultant**
Location: Remotely-based; Washington, DC preferred.
Reports to: Senior Director of Development and Communications
Start Date : February 1, 2019
About RI: About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
RI is seeking a talented and creative communications professional to join our team as a fixed-term consultant to assist with creating a suite of marketing materials that support the organization’s communications and fundraising priorities.
Scope of Work:
Assist with the department’s upcoming communications priorities by copy editing, writing and designing publications for public release to provide potential donors a look into RI’s work across Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
Tasks and Deliverables:
Create and develop the following materials:
- Copy edit RI’s Remote Management Framework report for publication on RI’s website, and guide RI’s graphic design consultant on creating a visual design for the piece;
- Play an integral role in the initial brainstorming and drafting stages of RI’s 2018 Annual Report, including working with graphic design consultant to guide initial visual products for the publication;
- Select photo candidates from RI’s in-house libraries and news agencies (Reuters), when appropriate, to be used in marketing materials;
- Assist with other departmental communications priorities as needed and agreed with supervisor.
Qualifications & requirements:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- BA in Marketing, Communications, or a related field;
- Excellent project management skills and experience overseeing external publications and/or reports for similar nonprofit organizations with activities in multiple countries;
- Experience using Adobe Suite products (i.e. Photoshop, Lightroom, Indesign, Illustrator) in for professional projects a plus;
- An established track record in outreach, communications, branding and design of other marketing materials that “pitch” INGO work in a compelling way;
- A minimum of two years of copy editing experience for multi-page reports, newspaper articles, etc., preferably for an INGO;
- Outstanding proficiency in written communication skills and excellent interpersonal communications skills when working with a variety of diverse partners and team members, including during the internal review and editing process;
- Ability to speak and write fluent English and present complicated information in creative, clear, concise and compelling marketing material to help convey RI’s key messaging;
- Excellent time-management skills and timely completion of work;
- Must be detail oriented;
- Working knowledge of international development, international relations, foreign policy, or humanitarian relief is essential.
Candidate must be authorized to work in the United States without requiring sponsorship either now or in the future.
Relief International's Values:
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
Transparency and accountability
Agility and innovation