You are invited to join a team of dedicated development professionals whose primary role is to support the Maldivesto achieve the 2030 Agenda. As part of the UNDP team your focus will be to work with multiple stakeholders to find country specific solutions to ensure no one is left behind - and we reach those furthest behind first. As the global balance of power shifts, UNDP is taking on new roles and funding. The recent geopolitical shift is reflected in the new 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, with its 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which universally applies to all countries in the world. The UN Development Programme (UNDP) was established in 1965 to channel official development assistance (ODA) to developing countries. It has grown into an operation with a presence in more than 170 countries. In Asia and the Pacific alone, UNDP’s experts have become trusted partners to 36 governments. We are in the process of adapting to the new development landscape, where UNDP’s core funding continues to be under pressure. The challenge for UNDP now is to adapt to the changing, ever- “flatter” world of development cooperation.
UNDP Maldives has been working closely with the government of Maldives in achieving its national goals as key partner in the development arena. As such UNDP Maldives has recently begun to explore ways through which the immense potential and expertise of the private sector in addressing the development challenges of our communities can be mobilized from concerted and continued engagement at the grassroots levels where the private sector and companies partner with us to create sustainable solutions
UNDP is looking for individuals who have the analytical, planning and implementation capacities that can address links, choices and connections across many issues and sectors. We seek individuals who can apply global best practice to national contexts. We are looking for people who are enthusiastic, motivated and committed to making a positive contribution to Development in the Maldives.
Under the overall supervision of Partnership Development and Policy Officer, the Communications and Partnership Associate supports the formulation and implementation of the communications and advocacy strategies to increase the standing and awareness of UNDP with partners, the media and the public. The Communications and Partnership Associate promotes a client-oriented approach in UNDP.
The Communications and Partnership Associate works as a member of the Programme and Operations Team and in close collaboration with staff of other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff (Communications Office) and the Regional Communications Advisor, Government officials, media, multilateral and bilateral donors and civil society.
Supports the formulation and implementation of CO communications and advocacy strategies, supports business development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of inputs and information for elaboration of CO communication strategy based on the corporate communications strategy
- Support to increased awareness of UNDP’s mandate and goals through dissemination of information, organization of public events
- In coordination with supervisor development and preparation of materials for marketing and awareness-raising including briefing materials and press releases.
- Organization of publicity, advocacy, knowledge-sharing events and promotional opportunities. Provision of logistics support to the events.
- Review of reference materials, identification of reference materials for retention. Maintenance of information database and photo library.
- Prepare quality materials for presentation, press releases, speeches talking points and concept notes
- Provide communications advice and support to the country office as required, including media relations, documentation and reporting of success stories and events, quality control of branding and documentation, and generally improve communications capacity;
- Maintain and develop effective working relationships with media representatives;
- Research and retrieval of data from internal and external sources;
- Organization and implementation of joint UN information campaigns (UN Day, etc).
- Maintain and update list of media outlets and maintain working-level contacts with media personnel.
- Actively seek opportunities for UNDP visibility and positioning.
Ensures maintenance of web sites, data bases and knowledge management systems and implementation of the CO publications policy focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Updates and maintains CO web sites and UNDP Social Media Pages in line with corporate branding requirements.
- Preparation of the content for the web sites and UNDP Social Media pages ensuring accuracy and consistency of the materials.
- Maintenance of other web sites, social media platforms and databases as assigned.
- Suggestions, inputs, content development, coordination of production and dissemination of press releases, publications, articles and sharing of CO knowledge and successes.
Support to resource mobilisation and partnership
- Support the organization of high visibility events, policy dialogues, roundtables that positions UNDP as the trusted development partner in Maldives
- Organize & support the execution of advocacy events, workshops, round-tables and other events;
- Maintain working-level contacts with NGOs, governmental institutions, and other stakeholders, and participate at local events for information dissemination purposes;
- Maintain and update automated database and mailing list of UNDP Maldives Country Office target audiences/IPs/partners;
- Distribute and disseminate advocacy and public information materials.
- Logistical support for visibility events, scoping trips
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support to CO staff in identification, documenting and drafting of best practices and lessons learned.
- Organization of training for the CO staff on effective communications and advocacy.
- Maintain system to catalog UNDP/CO knowledge products and publications.
- People Management
Advocacy and Activations
Ability to design and implement strategic short/long term campaigns and carry out customized activations to highlight UNDP's position and support issue based advocacy.
Knowledge of method (s) for practical, creative resolution of problems and creation of solutions, with the intent of an improved future result.
Ability to form and maintain meaningful working relationships with various members of the media.
Ability to effectively communicate intensions and requirements to internal and external stakeholders.
Ability to create and design web content.
Building Strategic Partnership
- Secondary Education or bachelor's degree in Journalism, Media Relations, Development Studies, Social Science or Marketing or,related field.
- 4 years of relevant experience with Secondary Education or 2 years of relevant experience with bachelor's degree.
- Knowledge and experience within the private sector in the Maldives will be an asset
- Excellent writing and drafting skills both in English and Dhivehi
- Proven strong research skills, combined with good communications and writing skills is essential.
- Relevant experience at the national level in providing communication packages to promote the activities of international development organization.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems is essental
- Experience in graphic design and developing information, education and communication materials will be an asset.
- Proficiency in English and Dhivehi
Contract Duration: 6 months