Title: Communication Analyst
Type of contract: Fixed Term Appointment (FTA)
Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
Supervisor: UNDP Resident Representative
Under the guidance and supervision of the UNDP Resident Representative in The Gambia and in close consultation with UNDP Deputy Resident Representative, the Communications Analyst implements the corporate communications strategy, as well as provides inputs to the design, management and implementation of the UNDP Country Office (CO) communications and publication strategies which are geared to influence the development agenda, promote public and media outreach and mobilize political and financial support for UNDP.
The UNDP Gambia Country Programme Document 2017 – 2021 seeks to support the Government of the Gambia across 3 key strategic areas.
A communications strategy tightly linked to program priorities helps position the Country Office in key development markets as a leader in ways that boost demand for various service lines and increase overall opportunities for supporting SDG implementation.
The Communications Analyst maintains a working relationship with the Regional Communications Manager. The Communications Analyst works in close collaboration with Programme and Operations teams, staff of other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff (Communications Office) ensuring successful UNDP communication strategy implementation.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach
- Implementation of the publications strategy and plan
- Supervision of the design and maintenance of the UNDP web site, intranet, CO web-based knowledge management system
- Support to business development
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Provides support to the planning and design of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Conduct of communications needs assessments for CO (projects, country programme and corporate change initiatives, etc)
- Analysis of requirements and synthesis of proposals for elaboration of the CO communications and outreach strategy based on the corporate communications strategy.
- Development/production of communication and advocacy instruments and materials for awareness-raising campaigns, including briefing materials and press releases in coordination with the supervisor.
- Synthesis of proposals for project formulations to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of UNDP’s development programme.
- Promotes optimum visibility of UNDP activities, results and thought leadership through effective media relations, placement and distribution of information material and creative partnerships with multilateral and non-governmental organizations and private sector;
- Oversees the content development, expansion and continual assessment of the quality and relevance of web-based information services
1. Ensures the implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Effective implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan.
- Management of some CO publication activities, such as drafting articles, content management, norms for publishing, design, maintenance of regular contact with printers and other suppliers to ensure production and publications dissemination.
2. Provides support to the maintenance of the UNDP web site, intranet, CO web-based knowledge management system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Management of the office web sites based on corporate requirements in cooperation with the ICT staff.
- Preparation of the content for the web sites to ensure consistency of the materials
3. Supports the business development focusing on achievement of the following results:
Launches and campaigns
- Promotion and dissemination of corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications such as the Human Development Report.
- Promotion and maintenance of public information campaigns on UNDP activities, results of MDGs, UN Reform, under the supervision of Deputy Resident Representative.
- Preparation and dissemination of newsletter to donors, donor reports, civic education and community awareness, where appropriate, to support projects
- Timely and effective responses to inquiries for public information materials.
4. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories.
- Provision of trainings, UNDP staff on communications for development
- Professional growth through active learning.
Impact of results
The key results have an impact on creation of effective communications and dissemination of information on UNDP as UN’s global development network. In particular, the key results have an impact on implementation of UNDP communications and publication strategies.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to UNDP Practice Areas
- Develops knowledge in Practice Areas
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to implement communications and publications strategies
- Advocates effectively
- Communicates sensitively and effectively across different constituencies
- Excellent communication skills, excellent writing skills
- Ability to conceptualize issues and analyze data
- Demonstrates strong IT skills
Management and Leadership:
- Focuses on impact and result for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Ability to remain calm, in control and good humored even under pressure and tight deadlines
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view
- Solicits feedback about the impact of his/her own behavior
Bachelor's degree in media relations, journalism, publishing
Up to 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension