The UN agencies operating in the Republic of Yemen have established sub-offices in Aden, and these offices and residencies (guesthouses) are in Khormaksar, Embassy Area and commonly known as the UN Enclave.
The agencies have a signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Military Police Unit in Aden for the provision of security services to UN agencies, Funds and Programmes at the UN Enclave and during their movements outside of the enclave.
UNDP will be managing the common service security arrangement in the enclave effective 1 April 2019 and will be recruiting a Common Service Associate to support with the administrative functions of the arrangement.
Under the overall guidance of the Resident Representative (RR), direct supervision of the Head of Service Centre and Aden Head of Sub-Office, the Common Services Associate will be rendering the administrative support to the management of the security arrangement in the UN Enclave in Aden. He/She will be working closely with the Enclave Security Manager and the Safety & Security Services (SSS) Officers on administrative issues related to the management of the military police forces deployed at the enclave.
The Common Services Associate will work closely with the UN agencies staff present in Aden, with UNDP Sub-Office in Aden in the transparent management of the financial resources of the Common Services in compliance with UNDP/UN Regulations, Rules and policies and preparing regular reports for presentation to the Operation Management Team (OMT) and Security Management Team (SMT)/ United Nations Country Team (UNCT).
1) Support development and delivery of common services security arrangement to the UN Enclave in Aden focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supports the Enclave Security Management Team in planning, management and monitoring of the enclave security arrangements;
- Maintain effective relationships at multiple levels in Aden with diverse internal and external counterparts (e.g. United Nations Agencies, Government, national institutions),
- Support the Enclave Security Manager in ensuring inclusiveness of all UN participating agencies in Aden in critical matters relating to security management of the Enclave;
- Ensures UNDP support to and coordination of the common services security arrangement and oversees the effective provision of services including financial, procurement and logistics, reviews with UN counterparts service requirements.
2) Provision of effective and efficient administrative support services to the Aden enclave security management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Collaborate with the UNDP Field Security Specialist, Enclave Security Manager, SSS Officers and Aden Security Associate to ensure that the security needs in the Enclave are met as per stipulated SOPs and in accordance to the MoU signed with the Military Police Unit in Aden.
- Coordinate with the UN agencies in the Enclave on the integration of the unarmed guards of the UN agencies in the UN Enclave security management.
- Support in the logistical arrangement for trainings to be undertaken by the Enclave Security Manager to the Military Police personnel.
- Respond to concerns and complaints of UN staff on the security arrangement in a positive and courteous manner;
- Perform any other administrative and logistical tasks as required by the Head of Aden Sub-Office.
3) Administration of the Aden Enclave Security Management Budget, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assist the Aden Head of Sub-Office in preparing the Enclave security management budget and ensure proper management, monitoring and control of expenditure within budget lines;
- Raise invoices to and collect cost-shares from participating UN agencies at the Enclave and follow up for timely payment of their contributions;
- Execute proper financial transactions in Atlas including creation of budgets and budget revisions and corrections when and as necessary;
- Prepare and maintain budgets status and financial reports and submit on monthly basis to the operations management;
- Review and process payment requests submitted for payment of incentives to the military police personnel through obtaining necessary clearances and financial authorizations and ensuring payments are processed promptly;
- Maintain internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas;
- Maintain proper filing system for finance records and documents.
4) Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
5) Supports the implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Provision of inputs to the Country Office (CO) administrative business processes mapping and elaboration of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs) in line with the CO policy on Hubs;
- Provision of inputs in the preparation of administrative team results-oriented work plans
6) The incumbent of the position should avoid any kind of discriminatory behavior including gender discrimination and ensure that
- human rights and gender equality is prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions;
- activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”;
- any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender are respected within all implementations including data production;
- differentiated needs of women and men are considered;
- inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is created;
- necessary arrangements to provide gender parity within all committees, meetings, trainings etc. introduced.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work: Level 3: Adapts deliverables to meet client needs
- Ability to persuade others to follow: Level 3: Adapts deliverables to meet client needs
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction: Level 3: Adapts deliverables to meet client needs
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform: Level 3: Adapts deliverables to meet client needs :
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement: Level 3: Adapts deliverables to meet client needs
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge: Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work
- Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency: Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of professionals towards common goals: Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work.
- Ability to effectively communicate intensions and requirements to internal and external stakeholders: Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work.
- Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, Inter-Agency Coordination and forge productive working relationships: Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work.
Service Delivery Coordination
- Ability to coordinate and deliver services in line with service level agreements and standards of excellence in UNDP:Level 3: Implement & Manage: Exercises skills and knowledge independently, demonstrating ability to manage self and team responsibilities, in area of work.
- 6 years of relevant experience in the areas of common services, administration or related field.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, public administration, finance, economics, management or related field with 3 years of relevant expereince may be accepted in lieu of the high school certificate.
- Management experience in planning, budgeting, arrangement and coordination of operational services including a minimum of 2 years’ experience in common service management would be desirable. Prior experience with UNDP/UN system would be an advantage.
- Work experience with UN agencies is an asset;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Proficiency in English and Arabic.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension