CCM (Comitato Collaborazione Medica) is an Italian NGO operating in Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan and Uganda, specialized in health-related projects’ implementation, either in humanitarian and development contexts.
Job Purpose / Objective: The Clinical Officer Anesthetist is overall responsible for providing anesthetic management to all patients undergoing surgical procedures, both emergency and elective, at the Mother Teresa Hospital Hospital, Turalei.
Location: Mother Teresa Hospital-Turalei, Twic State, South Sudan.
Contract duration: One year (Revolving)
Start date of contract: April 2019
Closing date for applications: Feb 28thth, 2019
· Formulate department objectives with the help of medical officer (MO) in charge of hospital.
· Ensure use of standard operating procedures, protocols and guidelines in management of patients is followed
· Responsible for giving anesthesia to all emergency and elective cases conducted in theatre, both minor and major surgeries
· Conduct peri-operative (pre and post) review of all patients within 24 hours
· Supervise theatre staffs and ensure smooth running of theatre activities and procedures in addition to allocating the support staffs duties.
· Assist in management of very sick patients in the ward when called upon e.g. patients who need urgent resuscitation and intubation
· Be part of the emergency trauma team and called upon in case of an accident with mass causalities
· Attend and participate in the daily morning hospital hand over meetings
· Participate in weekly continuous medical education (CME) at the hospital
· Conduct on-job training of staff through both practical and theory sessions
· Do theatre coverage and on-call, ensuring 24 hour coverage
· Properly cover nights and weekends, arrange a rotation schedule with fellow clinical officers.
· Perform routine clinical work as required by supervisor in both outpatient and inpatient departments.
· Participate in hospital health surveys/campaigns/surgical camps as required
· Keep complete and accurate inventory of medicines and supplies located at the theatre and monitor and supervise their usage
· Ensure all medication, equipment’s, supplies required for anesthesia and entire theatre department are ordered in good time.
· Ensure the anesthetic machine and operating table are well maintained and report any fault, need for repair or maintenance in good time
· Provide health talks to patients/clients on day to day basis
· Ensure and coordinate on proper and detailed hand over during receiving of patients to theatre and back to ward after surgery and vice versa
·**Reporting and Coordination**
· Ensure proper documentation of all anesthetic procedures, and condition of the patient including vital signs and medication given
· Submit weekly theatre reports to the Health Information System (HIS) officer
· Compile and submit monthly theatre reports to the MO in charge of hospital on a timely basis
Other Special Duties other than provision of Anesthesia
· Attend to minor Surgical cases and procedures referred to theatre not attended to by the MO (Esophageal foreign body removal, Ear and nose foreign body removal, Circumcisions, Ganglions and Lipomas excisions)
· Assist MO in charge in performing ultra sound services to patients.
Key result areas
· Ensure quality coordination of theatre and anesthetic management for all patients undergoing surgical interventions
· Ensure that universal precautions and infection prevention guidelines are adhered to
· MUST be Registered Clinical officer with specialization in Anesthesia. /
· Registered Anesthetist with a Higher National Diploma(HND) in Anesthesia and Surgery from recognized Medical training institution
· Registered with the Anesthetists Council of country of origin
· At least 3 years’ experience as an Anesthetist in a busy hospital setup
Required Experience & Competencies
· Good clinical and anesthetic skills
· Proven leadership, communication, interpersonal, decision making skills
· Good team player
· Excellent oral and written communication skills (English )
· Computer literacy in the use of MS Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is required
· Ability to work and deliver results with minimum supervision
· Demonstrated ability to work as a team player
· Experience of working in hardship area especially in south Sudan is an added advantage
· Cultural sensitivity
This vacancy is archived.
UNcareer.net - official telegram channel. International jobs and internships opportunities. Daily Update.Join Channel
UN career subscription. Get new vacancies and internships daily on your phone.Subscribe now