Position Start Date : As soon as possible
Duration : 6 to 9 months
Location : Shirqat, Kirkuk, Anah
Terre des hommes does not set closing dates for this position; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the leading Swiss organisation for children’s aid. Since 1960, Tdh has helped build a better future for deprived children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions. Active in more than 45 countries, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which improve the daily lives of over 3 million children and their relatives, in the domains of health, protection and emergency relief. This engagement is financed by individual and institutional support, with administrative costs kept to a minimum.
Tdh has been present in Iraq since 2014 with NFI distributions in Dohuk Governorate and in October 2015 launched unconditional cash assistance with the support of Swiss Solidarity. Since these first interventions, Tdh is now present in eleven districts (Anah, Al-Qa’im, Haditha, Tal Afar, West and East Shirqat, Tikrit, Baiji, Hawija, Anah and Tooz) across four Governorates (Salah al-Din, Anah, Nineveh and Al-Anbar) with operations in the two latter districts since 2017 as Tdh followed the frontlines to provide emergency assistance. Tdh was the first INGO to have field offices in Tikrit, Shirqat, Tal Afar and Anah.
Tdh’s strategy consists on providing emergency assistance in hard-to-reach and newly accessible areas with an integrated emergency response to conflict affected people through child protection, education, water sanitation and hygiene and camp management and coordination, while building the capacity of its current response in areas where services are being re-established.
In term of Child Protection, the activities are divided in the following main components:
- Child Protection Case Management: responsive integrated service approach
- Psychosocial Support: structured PSS activities for children and adolescents focusing on resilience, wellbeing & life skills; Structured PSS activities for parents/caregivers
- Community Outreach: protection outreach, strengthening community-based mechanisms through mobilization, sensitization & awareness campaigns
- Capacity Building: training local CP & Non-CP Actors, protection mainstreaming.
- Juvenile Justice: access to psychosocial support and justice
- Education: rehabilitation, support to formal and non-formal education.
Current donors: ECHO, OFDA, OCHA, UNICEF, MoFA of Switzerland, MoFA of the Netherlands, Swiss Solidarity, HEKS, Alta Mane, DRL.
Operational field bases: Anah, Tikrit, Shirqat, Tal Afar and Kirkuk.
Coordination bases: Erbil and Baghdad.
The Child Protection and Education Project Manager is working under the management of the Field Coordinator, and under the technical supervision of the Child Protection and Education Coordinator in Iraq and the Humanitarian Child Protection Specialist in headquarters. He/She is in charge of the direct implementation and supervision of the Child Protection project in his/her respective base.
He/she will be supported by a Tdh CP Coordinator, a Meal Officer, a Logistician Manager, an admin Manager, a database officer, with the aim of supervising and reinforcing the local partner child protection team and the community capacities, through a progressive delegation of responsibilities.
He/she manages, supports and supervises the CP and education team in charge of the implementation of CP and education activities. He/she works completely in line with the CP and education program strategy defined for the country and each base of intervention. He/she works in close coordination with the governmental and non-governmental agencies, with the cluster system, to develop, monitor and orientate the CP and education projects.
He/she also acts as the technical lead on all child protection and education-related topics for his/her base. He/she is expected to lead on sector-related assessments, programme design and implementation at proposal and strategy level, as well as support on fundraising, recruitment and procurement, liaising and linking with other sectors in general and child protection in particular. He/she oversees the monitoring & evaluation of child protection and education activities and support the CP and education working group coordination. He/she is expected to play a leadership role within a response team, supporting and building the capacity of colleagues.
He/she works with all relevant authorities at district and community level (civil, religious, police and all other services) for a better implementation, acceptance and ownership in improving the conditions to protect children.
Line Management and Human Resources Management
- Lead and manage Tdh staff, encouraging effective team work and providing supervision and guidance, including regular and constructive feedback.
- leads on CP team recruitment and revision of job descriptions for the base
- Ensures the whole team has a clear understanding of Tdh CP and education mandate and projects.
- Reports incidents and difficulties encountered with any staff members to the Field Coordinator and Country Representative.
- Organizes and leads weekly team meetings and provides weekly program update and movement plan to the Field Coordinator and CP Coordinator.
- Supports required actions by the administration related to protection team management and supervision.
- Develop, implement and monitors the Child Protection and Education projects, in accordance with multiple objectives, activities and targets outlined within current donor proposals and in line with projects’ budgets.
- Ensure that activities are appropriately monitored and evaluated and proposes, when deemed necessary, amendments to the child protection and education strategy, in consultation with the CP Coordinator, Deputy Country Representative-Program and Humanitarian Child Protection Specialist in headquarters.
- Conduct initial and regular assessments of the Child Protection and Education projects and activities’ impact.
- Forecasts and follows up on expenditures related to the Child Protection and Education projects.
- Participates in budget revision exercises.
- Prepares timely purchase requests in line with the Child Protection and Education project needs.
- Identifies logistic and admin support needs related to the CP and Education project and communicates these to the Field Coordinator, CP Coordinator, and relevant log/admin support person.
Project Strategy and planning
- In collaboration with the Humanitarian Child Protection Specialist in headquarters and the Tdh CP Coordinator, participates in designing strategies and objectives for improved support to beneficiaries and contribute actively in its monitoring, evaluation and revision.
- Participates in CP and Education assessments.
- Participates in the review of the strategy for Tdh in Iraq if requested.
- Oversees the accurate implementation of the database tools.
- Ensures correct data protection procedures and filing.
- Coordinates and supports the capacity building support to the CP and Education team, relevant local authorities, and community workers and community groups, as required by the project, specifically on recreational and play activities, PSS, and case management.
- Provide technical support to CP and Education team members as needed.
- Works in close collaboration and consultation with the CP Coordinator.
- Coordinates with other Tdh sectors to ensure implementation of standardized activities.
- Coordinates with other departments (program and support) as necessary.
- Works in close collaboration and consultation with available government structures, non-government actors, cluster system and community representatives.
- Represents Tdh in CP and Education foras and meetings held at community and location level.
- Develops a network to facilitate the project acceptance and stake holder’s contribution and ownership.
- Provides compiled meeting minutes reports to the Field Coordinator, CP and Education Coordinator and Country representative, including movement plans.
- Ensures monthly data analysis reports is submitted.
- Upon completion of the assignment, submits handover notes to the relevant persons.
- Undertake all other duties that may be determined by the base or country management and that are compatible with the job.
- Maintain and ensure a culture of strict confidentiality - inter Tdh staff and between Tdh staff and non Tdh employees.
- Professional diploma or university degree in Social Studies, psychology or any other related discipline
- At least 2 years of experience in similar position in an NGO at a project management position in the field
- Good project management experience (management, planning, staff development and training skills) in emergency
- Extensive technical experience in Child Protection and/or Education programming related to psychosocial support and child protection case management and or Education programming.
- Extensive technical experience in Child Protection and/or Education capacity building and coaching
- Good knowledge of inter-agency child protection and education standards and guidance
- Good knowledge and experience in logistics, admin and finance
- Required qualities: organized, sense of human relations, diplomacy, communication skills, ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to work in an inter cultural environment and in insecure locations
- Advance IT skills on Office pack
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
- Previous experience in emergency response is appreciated
- Knowledge of the Iraqi/Syrian context would be a distinct advantage.
Tdh Global Code of Conduct and Risk Management Policies :
- Fully complies with Tdh’s Global Code of Conduct and systematically reports any breach to the Code through the whistleblowing procedure: raises awareness within the Foundation on abuse and violence and the rights deriving therefrom, respecting the rights and dignity of children, members of the communities and our own Staff
- Commits to respecting Risk Management Policies including: Safeguarding Policies (Child Safeguarding Policy, Policy on the Protection against Sexual Exploitation and the Directive on Staff Misconduct at the Workplace), Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption and Prevention of the Financing of Criminal Activities Policies
- Commits to reducing the risk of abuse and harm by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children and the communities in which we intervene in.
We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
Are you interested? Do you want to face this challenge?
Please applying directly online: http://www.jobs.net/j/JTzwyWyo?idpartenaire=20007
Application files sent through our official website will be processed only if complete (CV + cover letter). Additional documents (diplomas, work certificates, etc.) will be requested at a later stage.
We will be in touch with the shortlisted candidates only in the selection process – with the large number of applications received, we unfortunately cannot provide personal follow-up to the larger candidate pool. Thanks for your understanding.
For any questions you can consult the FAQ below the job advertisements.
To know more about Terre des hommes: https://vimeo.com/253387418