Please note: This position is contingent upon award. This is a live proposal opportunity; interested applicants are urged to apply by Monday, June 17, 2019. Applications received after this date will be reviewed as needed, on a rolling basis.
The Chief of Party and Acting Country Representative (COP/ACR) is responsible for the overall development, management and implementation of PCI’s Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Project and serves as PCI’s representative and fiduciary officer in Haiti. S/he is accountable for the overall performance of PCI’s project, and is responsible for the leadership and direction of PCI Haiti to achieve PCI’s vision, mission and objectives. S/he represents PCI with government, donors, and local and international organizations in Haiti. The COP/ACR is responsible to ensure quality program management and implementation, resource development, partnership cultivation and stakeholder relations, and overall financial, grant, human resources and operational management. The COP/ACR reports to the Regional Director, Latin American Countries, and s/he works in collaboration with staff at the International Office (IO) including the Senior Director Humanitarian Assistance and Resilience, Operations Officer, Grant Accountant, Human Resources Lead for Haiti, and relevant technical leads.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Program Management & Implementation
- Provides technical leadership to ensure performance and quality of PCI’s programming in Haiti.
- Provides technical leadership to PCI program areas such as Humanitarian Assistance, Disaster Risk Reduction, urban upgrading, Women’s Empowerment, and Resilience.
- Oversees the management and implementation of program activities and ensures the quality and timely delivery of program results by PCI staff and partners.
- Ensures project performance is monitored regularly against targets, deliverables, budget, and quality standards, and ensures appropriate course-corrections as needed
- Ensures the development of quarterly and annual program plans in line with donor expectations.
- Ensures the development of high-quality donor reports.
- Conducts field visits to project sites to review quality and coverage of projects, as well as level of community participation and awareness.
- Ensures optimal standards for program management are met including adherence to PCI’s Gold Standards of Performance.
- Plans, implements and periodically reviews/modifies project-level management systems, following PCI’s operating procedures and guidelines.
- Facilitates dialogue between program managers and PCI’s IO to ensure program and staff performance, resolve issues, and mitigate risks.
- Mentors senior managers and project teams in the best practices of program and quality management, and bridges gaps in leadership skills of managers.
Financial Management, Operations & Administration
- Working with the Finance/Administration Manager, oversees and ensures effective financial and operational management of PCI Haiti.
- Ensures accurate and timely financial reporting that complies with donor requirements and PCI policies and procedures.
- Ensures effective budget management including development, monitoring and execution in accordance with donor requirements and internal projections.
- Ensures a robust internal control environment, including sound policies and procedures that safeguard staff and PCI assets, and improve efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
- Working with IO, ensures that effective grant management procedures are implemented to ensure adherence to agreement terms and conditions, and donor rules and regulations.
- Ensures adherence to and implementation of reasonable and consistent administrative policies and procedures, including procurement and travel.
- Ensures PCI Haiti operates within the terms and conditions of all legal agreements with the Haitian Government and in accordance with Haiti law
Human Resource Management
- Ensures proper recruitment and effective onboarding of employees and consultants for PCI Haiti.
- Leads PCI Haiti senior management team in providing leadership in program quality, implementation and resource development, including accountability for deliverables.
- Ensures consistent and effective development and implementation of PCI’s HR policies, procedures, structures and tools, and compliance with PCI’s HR and Leadership Gold Standards, including the implementation of key policies such as Equal Opportunity policy, Ethics/Conflict of Interest/Whistleblower policy, and PCI’s anti-harassment policy.
- Ensures strong levels of staff morale and engagement, and demonstrates effective, supportive supervision, mentoring and leadership through creating a culture of ONE PCI.
Ensures compliance with all GoH regulations governing INGOs including local registration, local labor regulations, and taxation.
Resource & Program Development
- Identifies and positions for opportunities and new program initiatives to broaden PCI Haiti’s portfolio, and participates in proposal development with support from PCI IO.
- Manages existing and forges new partnerships and alliances with national and international NGOs, donors, and the private sector to diversify PCI Haiti’s interventions.
- Strengthens relationships with government ministries and other key stakeholders
- Enhances PCI’s profile and visibility in-country, building on program achievements, differentiators, innovative approaches and management capacity.
- Identifies programmatic differentiators and learning, documents PCI’s achievements and impact, and promotes evidence-based marketing of success through effective documentation and dissemination with key stakeholders
Organizational & Country Leadership
- Fully participates as an organizational leader locally and globally, serving as a member of PCI’s Global Leadership Team.
- Actively engages in the execution of PCI’s strategic plan, including the development and implementation of a country strategy, adapting as needed based on changes in the local environment.
- Represents PCI with national and international donors, being accountable for program implementation.
- Represents PCI in engaging with the Government of Haiti (GoH), especially government partners to achieve mutually agreed results.
- Promotes innovation across PCI Haiti operations to improve program quality and effectiveness.
- Represents PCI in strategic meetings, conferences, forums, other external events and contributes towards raising the profile and visibility of PCI in Haiti.
- Represents PCI in negotiations and coordination with GoH and various departments and agencies of the U.S. Government and other international donor agencies.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree, preferably in international development or a technical area related to humanitarian assistance, disaster risk reduction, or urban resilience
- Minimum of 8-10 years of professional experience preferred, with a minimum of three years in a similar role at similar organization level, including direct supervision of staff on complex international development programs.
- Fluent in French; Experience working in Haiti required.
- Knowledge of financial management and internal controls in a development environment, strong budget management skills.
- Experience in managing funds from US Government and other international donor agencies, including USAID.
- Demonstrated understanding and familiarity with US Government donor regulations.
- Demonstrated experience in effective positioning and resource development from US Government and private funding sources.
- Demonstrated abilities in NGO reporting, budgeting, procurement, and project management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, influencing and marketing skills, presentation skills, and report writing skills.
- Strong program performance management experience, including monitoring and evaluation.
- Ability to collaborate with people and organizations of diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent facilitation, analytical and organizational skills.
- A passion for the mission and values of PCI.