- Leading and coordinating the implementation of the UNDP Digital Strategy
- Providing strategic management and coordination of initiatives supportive of the Digital Strategy
- Advocacy and engagement with internal and external partners
- Knowledge management and knowledge sharing.
Lead the implementation of UNDP’s Digital Strategy
- Under the direction of the Associate Administrator and in close coordination with the Administrator, serve as the digital champion and lead for implementation of the UNDP Digital Strategy.
- As focal point and responsible party for the implementation of the Digital Strategy, convene, empower, and lead cross-bureau and cross-organizational teams to support the identification, testing, design and scaling (as applicable) of initiatives that are supportive of UNDP’s digital transformation.
- Support the work of the Chief Technical Officer to ensure that OIMT has the requisites capacities and resources to enable achievement of the Digital Strategy.
- Lead the internal governance mechanism supporting ICT and Digital Transformation efforts of UNDP. Work with stakeholders to continually optimize digital governance and decision-making processes as the business context and technology landscape changes.
- Act as a trusted advisor to Bureau Directors, Resident Representatives and other senior staff of UNDP as they set about digitally transforming their respective areas of work.
Strategic management and coordination
- Coordinate the implementation of the digital transformation activation plan including supporting the design of initiatives related to digital transformation, progress monitoring, and consolidated reporting of results.
- Keep abreast of innovation and emerging applications of digital technologies so as to support their testing, validation, and scaling, in UNDP and to ensure synergies are built between different work processes and on
- Ensure coordination between ongoing organizational transformation processes so that the digital strategy both informs and is informed by such.
- Participate regularly in Bureau meetings and other related forums to ensure programmatic, policy, external relations, operational, and other activities are fully supported by appropriate digital technologies.
- Provision of strategic advice and support to the Administrator and senior executives of UNDP in relation transforming UNDP’s business model through digital technologies.
- Owns the process of defining and managing one or more of the enterprise changes (lighthouse projects) that underpin successful digitization/digitalization as the opportunity arises using change management expertise and an end-to-end understanding of the digital value chain to coach business leaders on driving enterprise change.
- Manage the financial resources assigned to the Digital Transformation activation plan.
Advocacy and engagement
- In close cooperation with the Bureau of External Relations and Advocacy, Regional and Central Bureaus, and the Executive Office, support the Administrator in positioning UNDP in relevant forums and events related to digital transformation and digital technologies so as to raise the profile of the organization and support for its work.
- In close cooperation with the all Bureaus, forge partnerships with external actors supportive of UNDP’s mission and capable of advancing UNDP’s digital transformation.
- Ensure donor engagement, partnership and resource mobilization for the implementation of the Digital Strategy, in close consultation with Bureaus.
- Continually expand scope and depth of engagement of UNDP colleagues across the globe in support of UNDP’s digital transformation.
- Liaise with digital and ICT experts in the broader UN family to build coordinated efforts towards digital transformation, in line with the Secretary General’s Strategy on New Technologies.
Knowledge management and knowledge sharing
- Build from the distributed knowledge of UNDP staff and their experience of developing, adapting and applying digital solutions so as to develop a organization wide source of information for digital transformation.
- Provide thought leadership on how digital technologies can transform UNDP’s work including policy, programming, operations, and advocacy and external relations.
- Make available best practices in digital transformation from non-UN organizations.
- Engage with the broader UN Development System to bolster knowledge, debate and discussion on how digital transformation can support achievement of respective organizational mandates. Document and share UNDP experience in this area and through appropriate inter-agency forums.
- In close collaboration with the Office of Human Resources, empowers UNDP colleagues to build skills and knowledge in the area of digital transformation.
- Supports the establishment of a “digital way of working” culture via best practice/peer examples and innovative approaches to addressing complex issues around people, process, and implementation methods to operationalize shared capabilities between business and technology.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
Management & Coordination
- Ability to manage and coordinate campaigns and people with inspiration. Believe in and promote diversity in the workplace and reshaping the workforce to meet need. and foster strong networks with those institutions.
Influencing & Agenda Setting
- Ability to plan and deliver communication initiatives that make an impact, persuades intended audiences, shapes perceptions of the UNDP and creates positive demand for UNDP's value propositions.
- Ability to analyse the organization’s value proposition and shape visionary/long term plans. Use insight to identify target audiences and partners and to inform communication objectives, messages and solutions.
Collaboration & Partnerships
- Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside (Programmes/projects) or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support. Sets overall direction for the formation and management of strategic relationships contributing to the overall positioning of UNDP.
- Knowledge of organizational development concepts, issues and principles and the ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Ability to effectively communicate intensions and requirements to internal and external stakeholders.
- Advanced university degree (Masters) in Business, Management, ICT, international relations, or related disciplines.
- Experience in finding/developing and applying digital solutions to an organization’s (either public or private sector), business challenges, with demonstrated application of new technologies to one or more business areas.
- Experience in undertaking change management and culture change activities to support an organization’s transformation.
- Experience in forming partnerships in the field of digital technologies to advance organizational objectives.
- More than 15 years of experience in the field of innovation, digital strategies, organizational management, change management, administration, or corporate service in international and multicultural institutions.
- Demonstrated leadership strategic and managerial leadership abilities at a senior executive level.
- Knowledge of the UN System.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required
- Proficiency in another UN language is desirable.
Important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension