WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ). Job holders performing front office management functions typically report to the Deputy Directors or Head of Offices. In cases where these positions support a specific business stream, the reporting line may be to the Head of Unit, Chief, or the designate.
At this level job holders are expected to take responsibility for completion of a range of business support activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines/practices. Job holders are able to recommend a course of action to staff at various levels and may allocate tasks to more junior colleagues.
Provide senior level secretarial and administrative support to the WFP Representative as well as organizational and coordinative secretarial services for the office.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Manage the front desk of the WFP Representative/Country Director and Deputy Country Director;
- Receive, screen, scan hard copy correspondence of the two managers and log correspondence, reports, etc, and forward to the appropriate officer; maintain a log in system and file for all incoming and outgoing
- Screen, assess and refer telephone calls and enquires to appropriate staff; provide information on a variety of questions such as the division’s programme and activities as well as sensitive information;
- Coordinate and expedite office wide responses to sensitive telephone and written enquires on behalf of the manager
- Maintain calendar and schedule appointments and meetings and make tentative appointments on their behalf; compile background documents and talking points and brief the managers on matters to be considered prior to scheduled meetings;
- Maintain and update the office's filing and reference system;
- Draft various standard correspondence and review all outgoing correspondence for factual correctness and adequacy as well as adherence to WFP procedures;
- Provide procedural advice to staff on office methods and procedures to improve the quality and efficiency of their work
- Coordinate the staff support services and clear correspondence for the two managers' signature;
- Draft moderately complex correspondence and ensure any related follow up;
- Organize or participate in organization and preparation of staff meetings or special meetings and
- prepare minutes/notes for record of these meetings as required;
- Prepare Informal translations and act as interpreter for ad hoc meetings, as requested;
- Perform liaison duties with other units by supporting supervisor in consolidating documents and reports, following up on the deadlines for various correspondence and on a range of assignments to ensure timely response to all clients;
- Network with UN agencies and development partners to manage and update information relevant to the Office.
- Perform other related duties as required.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Bachelor degree in any discipline. Secretarial course is a plus.
Experience: At least four (04) years of experience in secretarial or in general administrative work.
Language : Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Bangla.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Knowledge of specialised common business practices and methods, gained through relevant technical training and experience.
• Ability to develop and maintain relationships with a range of individuals in order to provide a high quality support service.
• Ability to carry out basic data analysis and independently rectify problems requiring attention.
• Ability to monitor and record financial transactions.
• Good communication skills required to give and receive information and work with a variety of individuals.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Contract Type: Service Contract (SC-5)
Contract Duration: 1 year, renewable
Duty Station: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Nationality: Bangladeshi only
Monthly Net Salary: BDT. 86,452
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Only candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to submit an online application by 10 October 2018.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.