Business Intelligence and Reporting Development Technician
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Sustainable Development Cluster
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.
Background Information - Job-specific
This position is located in the Operations Support Division, Office of Information and Communications Technology (OICT/OSD) in New York. The Office of Information and Communications Technology (OICT) provides enterprise-wide oversight of ICT programmes, budgets and decision-making to ensure alignment with the Secretariat's overall ICT strategy in support of the Organization's mission. OICT is also responsible for the delivery of applications that satisfy the requirements of the UN Secretariat, field missions and other DOS supported entities. OICT has implemented a range of systems and analytical tools to address the principal requirements of its clients to support and enhance the processes UN undertakes.
This position is part of OICT’s Reporting and Data Management (RDM) team in Valencia, Spain and will work to deliver data and business intelligence products.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for or in the United Nations Secretariat. The incumbent of this position will be a personnel of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Summary of Key Functions
- Business Intelligence (BI) and data development
- BI and Data support and maintenance
- Documentation and training
Under the overall supervision of the UNOPS Senior Manager, the incumbent will work under the guidance of the Reporting and Data Management Delivery Lead and directly report to the Business Intelligence Architecture Analyst in the UNGSC Valencia, Spain and is responsible for the following duties:
- Assist in the design and development of reports and dashboards using tools like SAP Business Intelligence (Web Intelligence and Analysis Workspace) and MS Power BI.
- Analyze requirements and develop visualizations and reporting solutions.
- Support the development of SAP HANA views and SAP BW data models.
- Implement ETL processes to bring data from different data sources into data repositories and warehouses.
- Perform sanity checks and unit testing of reports; participate in end-user testing for bug fixing and issues resolution.
- Liaise with SAP Basis and other operation teams to provide recommendations on performance, security, and user interface.
- Process support Work Orders by troubleshooting and resolving reporting and BI incidents and problems.
- Develop documentation, training materials and conduct training sessions when needed.
- Perform other ICT related duties as required.
Impact of Result
The result of work of the Business Intelligence and Reporting Development Technician impacts directly on delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Department as well as the performance of the services implemented in the DPO and Peace Keeping and Special Political Missions and headquarters. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the industry standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
Education, Experience and Language Requirement
· High school diploma or equivalent
· First-level university degree in Applied Mathematics, Electronics, Statistics, Computer Science, Information Systems / Technology, Engineering or related field is an asset or advantage
· Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of ICT, Electronics, Information Systems, or other related fields is required. A candidate with a University degree must have at least one (1) year of experience in the relevant area.
· Minimum 3 years’ experience with Power BI or SAP Business Objects or SAP BW or SAP ERP.
· Minimum 1 years’ experience with data integration, cleansing, ETL related areas
· Minimum 1 years’ experience with Microsoft SQL or any other database tool
· Experience in solving analytical problems using quantitative techniques
· Experience in SAP HANA
· Experience in SAP ERP in logistic areas (SAP TM, MM, SRM, PM, etc. )
· Ability to take high level, loosely-defined business problems and identify precise, quantitative solutions.
· Fluency in spoken and written English is a requirement, knowledge of a second UN language an advantage.
· Integrity and Inclusion - Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
· Leading Self and others - Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others.
· Partnering - Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
· Results Orientation - Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
· Agility - Open to change and flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behaviour. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
· Solution Focused - Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
· Effective communication - Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.