UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a PSP Associate Screening Officer (Asia),
UNOPS IICA-1 position within the Private Partnerships & Philanthropy Section (PPH) -
Private Sector Partnerships Service based in Bangkok, Thailand.
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a
better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year,
millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and
persecution. We are in over 130 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
UNHCR is almost entirely funded by voluntary contributions from governments and private
- Title: Associate Screening Officer (Asia)
- Duty Station: Bangkok, Thailand
- Duration: 01 April 2020 – 31 December 2020
- Contract Type: UNOPS International Specialist, Level IICA - 1
- Closing date: 03 March 2020
Reporting to the Due Diligence Officer, Private Partnerships and Philanthropy, the Associate Screening Officer (Asia) will act as the regional focal point for conducting screening research for the UNHCR’s Private Sector Engagement on due diligence and approval processes relatedto the delivery of partnerships with corporations, foundations/trusts and HNWI.
Duties and responsibilities
The incumbent will be responsible for the following:
• Perform research and conduct screening reports as required for potential UNHCR
Partners from the Private Sector (Corporations, Foundations/Trusts, HNWI);
• Screening reports should be filled out in the standard Screening report form and shared
with Due Diligence officer for review;
• UNHCR Screening Criteria must be incorporated into screening research to support
analysis and ultimately comprehensive screening recommendations;
• Perform other related tasks as required;
• Requested screening reports are submitted in a timely manner, regular communication
with Due Diligence officer is maintained and s/he is regularly informed of all significant
activity in the region;
• Undertake the extensive research for screening of current and prospective partners and
donors (corporations, foundations and HNWI);
• Managing incoming enquiries primarily from the Asia Region, as well as other regions
upon request, regarding screening and due diligence on prospective partners;
• Conducting additional ethical research of prospective partners based on publicly available
information, to verify compliance with UNHCR’s screening criteria and identify potential
risks, with a focus on reputational risks;
• Contribute to the maintenance of the detailed records of screening activities, ensuring that
the screening information is made accessible to requesting colleagues as appropriate;
• Keep abreast of relevant business, economics, legislative, regulatory and corporate social
responsibility (CSR) developments and trends in key UNHCR markets for PSP
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)Screening reports should be filled out in the standard Screening report form and research
- and information gathering should be consistent with Due Diligence standards and UNHCR
- exclusionary and inclusionary criteria.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree in any of the following: Social Sciences, Economics, Public
Administration, International Relations, Business Administration, Marketing, Public Relations,
or a related discipline.
• Minimum 3 years (2 years with Master University degree) previous relevant work experience
in a not-for-profit organization and/or in a global private sector company is required.
• Corporate Social Responsibility experience is an asset.
• Fluency in English and Chinese Mandarin is required
• Knowledge of another UN language is an asset
• Proven ability to work independently and effectively, and handle multiple priorities in a fastpaced environment;
• Thorough knowledge of current trends and practices of public-private partnerships,
corporate social responsibility, and fundraising;
• Excellent analytical, research, writing, organizational skills and time management skills;
• Attention to details, problem-solving ability and strong follow-up skills;
• Experience working in a multi-cultural environment; and excellent team player;
• Computer proficiency: MS Office (additional web-based computer knowledge is an asset).