IMPORTANT INFORMATION: This vacancy is a local staff position in Bangladesh. It is open only to nationals and residents of Bangladesh.
To assist the Resident Mission (RM) in handling loan/technical assistance (TA) processing and administration, portfolio management, sector work, and other general sector activities, covering public and private sector operations under transport sector.
Contributes independently to Bangladesh Resident Mission (BRM) by completing a variety of tasks assigned by senior staff, covering all or a combination of the following functions, depending on the situation/requirements for the transport sector of BRM:
Project & TA Preparation and Appraisal
- Provides support to fact-finding and appraisal missions, including but not limited to review of technical designs and cost estimates, liaison with government officials, data and project costing, procurement packaging and related technical issues, and close follow-up for achieving readiness mile-stones.
Project & TA Administration
- Administers the implementation of assigned projects by monitoring the progress, actively identifying issues and taking actions to address them. Actively takes initiative and responsibility to engage with HQ counterparts, government agencies, development partners, private sector partners, and other stakeholders to facilitate the successful administration and monitoring of the assigned projects under transport sector.
- Prepares internal procurement papers, conducts review of procurement submissions and documents including draft designs and cost estimates, provides administrative support in the recruitment and management of consultants, reviews contract variations, prepares papers for extension of loan/grant/TA closing dates, reallocation of loan/grant/TA proceeds, changes in scope and implementation arrangements, and other project administration tasks.
- Liaises with and supports BRM and HQ of ADB, Government agencies, development partners, private sector partners, and other stakeholders to facilitate formulation, processing, administration and monitoring of ADB-financed loan and TA projects under transport sector.
- Monitors the progress of assigned projects and prepares project performance reports.
- Prepares and updates forecasts of contract awards & disbursements, identifying factors responsible for shortfalls and expediting achievement of target levels where possible.
- Identifies issues and takes actions to address them through interactions with executing agencies (EAs), contractors, consultants, and project beneficiaries; prepares measures to address the issues and implementing the measures.
- Prepares internal procurement papers, review of procurement documents including draft technical designs and cost estimates, and papers for extension of loan closing dates, reallocation of loan proceeds, changes in scope and implementation arrangements, and other project administration tasks.
- Provides advice to government ministries, executing agencies (EAs) and sector entities on ADB guidelines on procurement, recruitment of consultants, preparation of tender documents, etc. to ensure effective implementation.
- Assists EAs in the areas listed above for project administered by various sector divisions in the HQ.
- Assists in the preparation of Project Completion Reports and TA completion Reports as assigned.
- Supports or participates in Project Review or Country Portfolio Review missions as a mission member when required
- Provides support for policy dialogues with government on policy matters and institutional issues.
- Maintains close cooperation with other international donors and undertakes meetings and consultations with them, especially in areas relating to donor coordination and harmonization in sector work.
- Contributes to sector work in the field by assisting in conducting research, updating information on the transport sector, analyzing financial, institutional or economics uses, and preparing reports on the subjects.
- Assists in the preparation of sector assessments within the context of development aid effectiveness and national sector strategy to be utilized for programming purposes.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge base of future Government investment plans and approval processes, organizational structure and policies relevant to transport sector.
- Prepares inputs for sector database for portfolio management.
Other Operational Support
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Applies updated advancements in own knowledge area to relevant tasks
- Applies knowledge and practical skills to independently perform some complex tasks
- Conveys the need to use updated project approaches
- Delivers Divisional contributions across a variety of products and services to meet the needs of different clients
- Proposes options to clients that may better meet their needs than current approaches
- Defines and delivers to agreed standards with clients
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Conducts detailed research and analysis to determine appropriate methods for addressing the causes of issues
- Self-monitors achievement of results according to work plans
- Identifies different stakeholder needs and desired outcomes when planning for outcomes
- Independently solves problems and makes recommendations
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks with audience's level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, economics, finance, business administration, transport planning, or other fields, preferably with advanced training
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience in project management and implementation.
- Demonstrated expertise and experience within the assigned sector
- Experience & knowledge of various stages of the project cycle (project planning /
- feasibility analysis / detailed design / project implementation / construction supervision /
- contract management) is desirable
- Sound knowledge of government administrative systems and procedures
- Familiarity with accepted best practices of procurement and disbursement processes
- Effective report-writing and communication skills in English
People and leadership skills
- Able to guide Administrative Staff (AS) to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review
- Able to liaise and work effectively with government officials within own work location
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Supervisor: Designated International Staff and senior National Staff
We encourage diversity in our workplace and promote an inclusive work environment.