The vacancy is for a local position with a local remuneration package. It is open only to nationals and residents of Kazakhstan.
Contributes to the Kazakhstan Resident Mission (KARM) and Public Management, Financial Sector, and Trade Division (CWPF) by coordinating financial sector and other related operations in KARM. This includes handling loan/Technical Assistance (TA) processing and administration, portfolio management, sector work, and other general sector activities with focus on financial sector in support of ADB's operational activities in Kazakhstan. Support in the processing and administration of assigned loans and TAs.
Under the guidance of senior staff, contributes independently to the work unit by completing a variety of tasks assigned, covering all or a combination of the following functions:
Project & TA Preparation
- Provides support to fact-finding and appraisal missions, including but not limited to review of technical designs and cost estimates, liaison with government officials, data and project costing, procurement packaging and related technical issues.
Project & TA Administration
- Provides support in the processing and administration of specific loans and TAs, actively takes initiative and responsibility to engage with RM, HQ and field offices of ADB, Government agencies, development partners, private sector partners, and other stakeholders to facilitate the successful formulation, processing, administration and monitoring of ADB-financed loan and TA projects.
- Monitors the progress of assigned projects and prepares project performance reports.
- Identifies issues and takes actions to address them through interactions with executing agencies (EAs), contractors, consultants, and project beneficiaries; prepares measures to address the issues and implementing the measures.
- Prepares internal procurement papers, review of procurement documents including draft technical designs and cost estimates, and papers for extension of loan closing dates, reallocation of loan proceeds, changes in scope and implementation arrangements, and other project administration tasks.
- Provides advice to government ministries, executing agencies (EAs) and sector entities on ADB guidelines on procurement, recruitment of consultants, preparation of tender documents, etc. to ensure effective implementation.
- Assists EAs in the areas listed above for project administered by various sector divisions in the HQ.
- Assists in the preparation of Project Completion Reports and TA completion Reports as assigned.
- Supports or participates in Project Review or Country Portfolio Review missions as a mission member when required
- Provides support for policy dialogues with government on policy matters and institutional issues.
- Maintains close cooperation with other international donors and undertakes meetings and consultations with them, especially in areas relating to donor coordination and harmonization in sector work.
- Raises awareness and recognition about ADB's activities in the financial sector and related to PPPs, through active dialogues with key officials and market players.
- Contributes to ADB's financial sector activities by covering all or a combination of the following functions:
- Coordinates the processing and administration of assigned loans & TAs, depending on the situation/requirements of KARM and CWPF;
- Assists in conducting research, updating information on the assigned sector, analyzing financial, institutional or economics uses, and preparing reports on the subjects;
- Monitors and analyzes national, sub-regional and global developments and trends in the assigned sectors and prepares periodic reports or briefs for KARM/CWPF management.
- Assists in the preparation of sector assessments within the context of development aid effectiveness and national sector strategy to be utilized for programming purposes.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge base of future Government investment plans and approval processes, organizational structure and policies relevant to the assigned sectors.
- Prepares inputs for sector database for portfolio management.
- Where required, acts as the focal point for the assigned sector(s) and maintains close relationships with the relevant Government agencies and HQ staff
- Provides support to ADB headquarters divisions particularly to CWPF in the preparation, approval and administration of loan and technical assistance projects, and other activities related to the assigned sectors.
- Establishes and maintains close liaison with concerned Government authorities and key national stakeholders in the assigned sectors (including private sector representatives, nongovernment offices [NGO]).
- Maintains close coordination with development partners active in the assigned sectors, including through the Local Consultative Group mechanism, in order to ensure complementarity of initiatives and pursue opportunities for collaboration.
Other Operational Support
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Applies updated advancements in own knowledge area to relevant tasks
- Applies knowledge and practical skills to independently perform some complex tasks
- Conveys the need to use updated project approaches
- Delivers Divisional contributions across a variety of products and services to meet the needs of different clients
- Proposes options to clients that may better meet their needs than current approaches
- Defines and delivers to agreed standards with clients
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Conducts detailed research and analysis to determine appropriate methods for addressing the causes of issues
- Self-monitors achievement of results according to work plans
- Identifies different stakeholder needs and desired outcomes when planning for outcomes
- Independently solves problems and makes recommendations
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks with audience's level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
Bachelor's degree in economics, finance, or management; or related fields, preferably with advanced training.
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience.
- Expertise and experience within the assigned sector
- Experience & knowledge of various stages of the project cycle (project planning / feasibility analysis / detailed design / project implementation / construction supervision / contract management) is desirable
- Sound knowledge of government administrative systems and procedures
- Ability to research, analyze and check data from external and internal sources, reconcile or explain inconsistencies and perform statistical calculations
- Effective report-writing and communication skills in English
People and leadership skills
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with ADB staff and Government officials
- Able to liaise and work effectively with government officials within own work location
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Supervisor: Designated International Staff and Senior National Staff
- We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive work environment.