The vacancy is for a local position with a local remuneration package. It is open only to nationals and residents of Lao PDR.
To assist the Lao Resident Mission (LRM) in handling the administration of procurement and consulting services for ADB-financed and co-finance projects, portfolio management, procurement issues for loan/technical assistance (TA) processing, training and seminars, and other general project administration activities.
Under the guidance of a senior staff, contributes independently to the work unit by completing a variety tasks assigned, covering all or a combination of the following functions:
Procurement and Consulting Services
- In close collaboration with the Operations Services and Financial Management Department (OSFMD), takes initiative to deal with issues related to procurement and project administration in a proactive manner.
- Reviews various procurement and consulting documents, including bid documents/request for proposals (RFP), evaluation reports, and recommendations for contract award for projects under the Lao portfolio, and gives necessary advice on issues to ADB staff and executing agencies (EAs) and implementing agencies (IAs), as necessary.
Project and TA Preparation and Appraisal
- Assists loan/TA processing missions to review contract packages, procurement plan, project administration manual (PAM), and project implementation schedule; assists in assessing the capacity of the EAs/IAs in carrying out procurement activities and identifying training needs; assists mission leaders in discussions with EAs and preparation of memorandum of understanding/aide memoire.
- Assists review missions to assess EA's procurement and contract award achievements, identifies any bottleneck in procurement processing and non-compliance with ADB's procurement or consulting policy, guidelines and loan agreements, and recommends measures for improving procurement process.
Country Portfolio Review Mission
- Participates in country portfolio review mission and monitors the procurement and consulting service activities for ADB-financed projects, including preparing the related pre- and post-mission documentation.
- Undertakes assigned procurement-related portfolio management activities.
- Supports policy dialogue with public procurement agencies to strengthen country systems, including legislative and regulatory frameworks and institutional capacity.
- Contributes to fiduciary and country procurement assessments.
- Conducts internal and external training on procurement and consulting services and assists in capacity building of EAs/IAs and entities involved in procurement in Lao PDR.
- Coordinates with ADB Headquarters divisions on procurement and consulting services matters.
- Assists OSFMD in coordinating seminars in Lao PDR, such as country project implementation and administration seminars, procurement seminars, seminars on consulting services, and seminars on developing national consultants' capacity.
Other Operational Support
- Maintains close cooperation with other development partners and undertakes meeting and consultation with them, especially with respect to procurement and consulting services, as and when required.
- Keeps updated on ADB's policies, guidelines and procedures on procurement and use of consultants, disseminating these to LRM staff, EAs/IAs and other agencies concerned, and responds to EAs inquiries on matters relating to procurement and use of consultants.
- Produces reports, as required, on the tasks undertaken in relation to the above.
- Performs any other duties as reflected in the incumbent's work plan
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Applies updated advancements in own knowledge area to relevant tasks
- Applies knowledge and practical skills to independently perform some complex tasks
- Conveys the need to use updated project approaches
- Delivers Divisional contributions across a variety of products and services to meet the needs of different clients
- Proposes options to clients that may better meet their needs than current approaches
- Defines and delivers to agreed standards with clients
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Conducts detailed research and analysis to determine appropriate methods for addressing the causes of issues
- Self-monitors achievement of results according to work plans
- Identifies different stakeholder needs and desired outcomes when planning for outcomes
- Independently solves problems and makes recommendations
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks with audience's level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
- Bachelor's degree preferably in business administration, procurement, law, engineering or related discipline, preferably with advanced training
- At least 6 years experience in project preparation and administration with substantial experience in procurement and contract management.
- Familiarity with procurement policies, guidelines, and procedures, and anticorruption policies of a multilateral organization. Sound knowledge of government administrative systems and procedures, particularly public procurement systems.
- Familiarity with Internationale Des Ingenieurs Conseils (or International Federation of Consulting Engineers-FIDIC) contracts is an added advantage.
- Experience and knowledge of various stages of the project cycle (project planning/feasibility analysis/detailed design/project implementation/construction supervision/contract management) is desirable. Experience in ADB or World Bank- funded projects is an advantage.
- Sound knowledge of competitive bidding procedures and exposure to the domestic construction and consulting industries in Lao PDR.
- Effective report writing and English communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office.
- Strong conceptual skills and ability to identify issues and appropriate actions at the field office level. Strong planning and organizing skills to handle many tasks with deadlines.
People and leadership skills
- Able to liaise and work effectively with government officials within own work location.
- Able to guide Administrative Staff (AS) to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review.
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Strong planning, organizational and administrative skills.
- Supervisor: Designated International Staff and senior National Staff
We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive and respectful work environment. Women are especially encouraged to apply.