Position status: Full-Time/local Hire
Location: Dakar, Senegal with up to 40% travel within Senegal
Compensation: Gross salary starting at + benefits: 27,710,491/annum
The United States Peace Corps in Senegal Peace Corps Senegal is seeking a highly qualified Health Program Management professional to be based in Dakar, Senegal. The primary purpose of this position is to lead and implement the Peace Corps’ Community Health project in Senegal. The duties include training, guidance and oversite of Volunteers; supervision of staff; developing and implementing programming, and; monitoring and evaluating the project. The incumbent represents the US Peace Corps with the project’s primary partner, the Government of Senegal’s Ministry of Health, and other partner organizations. The position supervises the work and progress of 60-70 American Volunteers, as well as three Programming and Training Specialists. The incumbent serves as a member of senior staff and is directly supervised by the Director of Programming and Training. She or he is authorized to act as Occasional Money Handler (OMH)*. Interested candidates must hold the following qualifications:
· The position requires a Master’s degree in a field related to Public Health or a bachelor’s degree in a health related field with at least ten years of relevant work experience.
b. Experience and skills:
- Six or more years of progressively responsible experience in fields relevant to community-based health (public health project management, behavior change initiatives, project design and management, Volunteer programming, etc.).
- Strong experience working closely with or supporting international students, volunteers, interns or others from a different culture, or significant experience working and living in another culture.
- Significant experience as a trainer and/or in the development of training programs.
- Experience in grassroots community development.
- Sound experience directly supervising professional staff.
- Strong knowledge of maternal and child health; community-based health service delivery; and behavior change interventions.
- Ability and/or experience partnering with government officials at all levels.
- Experience with an American organization and/or culture. Must also have a good knowledge of or interest in American culture and issues of cross-cultural differences.
c. Language Proficiency:
- Fluency corresponding to Level 5 (translator) written and spoken English and French.
- Proficiency in one or more of Senegal’s national languages.
d. Other relevant attributes:
- Excellent communication skills.
Highly collaborative leader and team player.
Good skills using software such as Word, Excel, Outlook, and Powerpoint.
OTHER IMPORTANT CONSIDERATIONS
- Extensive travel (approximately 40% of time) away from Duty Station (Dakar), usually to Volunteer sites
throughout the country or the Thiès Training Center.
- Be accessible 24 hours a-day and 7 days a week to respond to Volunteer emergencies.
- Emergency trips to the field, usually Volunteer sites.
- Counseling Volunteers on work and personal issues.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience promoting gender equity through health programming
- In depth knowledge of rural Senegal as well as an understanding of the traditional and modern dynamics of the society
- Strong counseling and coaching abilities.
- Good conflict resolution skills in a cross-cultural setting.
- A sound knowledge of community development issues.
- Good understanding of NGOs and international development operations. Knowledge in areas of community development, group dynamics, and participatory approaches to development.