- Provides substantive support to the Resident Coordinator (RC) and UN Country Team (UNCT) in designing, implementing and monitoring the UN joint advocacy and communication strategy, promoting the UNDAF as the primary instrument for the planning and implementation of UN development activities in the country, in support of the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
- Prepares inputs for the RC and UNCT on strategic advocacy and programme communications for the 2030 Agenda and to boost impact of programmatic objectives under the UNDAF;
- Contributes to the promotion of advocacy and communications as a tool for a participatory approach to UNDAF implementation and monitoring, reflecting the views and priorities of people, including those left farthest behind;
- Monitors and analyzes the media in the areas related to the UN’s mandates and programmes in the country, as well as other issues relevant to the UN brand and positioning;
- Prepares inputs for the RC and UNCT on public messaging and media outreach, and assists in managing reputational risks or crises around sensitive issues;
- Provides substantive support to the RC and UNCT, Programme Management Team (or equivalent) and Results Groups on potential issues, concerns and risks related to communications and advocacy, and suggests corrective actions;
- Provides substantive support to the UN Communications Group throughout the stages of the UNDAF cycle;
- In collaboration with the UN Communications Group and the UN Programme Management Team (or equivalent), and in coordination with the RCO colleagues responsible for data management and results reporting, contributes to the annual communication plan to publicize and communicate results with a focus on the UN’s development impact;
- Assists the RC and UNCT in projecting UN’s image effectively and accurately as well as promoting transparency and accountability;
- Provides substantive support to identity, incorporate, monitor and report on communication performance indicators throughout the UNDAF cycle.
- Assists in the engagement of key traditional and non-traditional partners, including government, civil society, private sector, development partners and others new as well as traditional actors on the collective 2030 Agenda and the related role and impact of the UN’s work in country;
- Provides substantive support to the RC and UNCT in significantly expanding public outreach on the 2030 Agenda and the UN’s role and impact in country;
- Supports public engagement on the UN’s role and work in country, including through programme visits showcasing the UN’s development impact;
- Contributes to regular liaison with other partners for content development, information exchange, collaborative communication efforts, and innovative communication and advocacy tools;
- Compiles and analyzes communication experiences and shares findings with country, regional and HQ communication colleagues so that best practices benefit UN’s communication work;
- Assists in maintaining close working relationships with the media, including editors and journalists in key national and international news outlets; develops, maintains and updates media relations contact list/database;
- Prepares official briefing materials, talking points, speeches, statements, op-eds and presentations as necessary.
- Maintains digital external platforms such as the UN country team website as well as UN social media presence (Facebook, Twitter account etc.);
- Assists in the development and implementation of a digital content strategy and contributes to the development of key communication products (e.g. human-interest stories, photography, video, animations, etc.).
- Provides substantive support to the RC and UNCT on joint UN publications, maintaining high quality standards and the correct application of the UN branding guidelines;
- Drafts inputs for the RC and UNCT on the use of the UN joint brand at country level across UN products
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in communications, journalism, business or public administration, sustainable development, social sciences, education or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in programme communications and advocacy or partnership development in the context of development cooperation or related area is required.
- Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English or French, is required; knowledge of the other is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
- National Professional Officers are nationals of the country in which they are serving, and their functions must have a national context, i.e. functions that require national experience or knowledge of the national language, culture, institutions, and systems.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension