Assistant Video Game Developer - Pulse Lab Kampala
Location : Kampala, UGANDA
Application Deadline : 30-May-16 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : International Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 27-Jun-2016
Duration of Initial Contract : 3 months
Expected Duration of Assignment : 3 months
Global Pulse ( http://www.unglobalpulse.org/about-new) is an innovation initiative of the United Nations Secretary-General on Big Data. Its vision is a future in which big data is harnessed safely and responsibly as a public good. Its mission is to accelerate discovery, development and scaled adoption of big data innovation for sustainable development and humanitarian action. Global Pulse is building a catalytic network of in-country innovation centres, which will test new tools, data and analysis, share what lessons with the global community, mainstream successful approaches for real-time impact monitoring into policymaking. The first Lab has been established in New York (Pulse Lab New York) followed by Jakarta, Indonesia and Kampala, Uganda.
Pulse Lab Kampala ( http://www.unglobalpulse.org/kampala) is an inter-agency initiative of the United Nations under the Office of the Resident Coordinator in Uganda. The first of its kind in Africa, it brings together researchers from Government, the UN, non-governmental organizations and private sector to explore the utility of new sources of digital 'Big Data' (such as social media, mobile data, online information) and real-time analysis techniques for social development monitoring and program planning.
A data revolution is underway in Uganda and in Africa. There is more data now than ever. New technologies are leading to an exponential increase in the volume and types of data available, creating unprecedented possibilities for informing and transforming society and protecting the environment. There is more data produced in the last 2 years than in all of human history. There is a tremendous potential in new technology; indeed, this is the forefront of the data revolution already well underway in in the private sector. The new SDGs agenda will have increased demands - and opportunities- for the use of data. Pulse Lab Kampala supports the UN Country team to tap into the revolution obtaining more and better data to support development work and humanitarian action supporting:
- Enhance Early Warning: Detection of anomalous trends and patterns of events enables early warning of emerging crises and earlier responses to prevent long-term harm;
- Real-Time Awareness:An up-to-date picture of trends, hotspots and dynamic changes in population behaviour enhances programme planning and monitoring of implementation and;
- Rapid Impact Monitoring and Evaluation: Timely feedback on the impact of programmes and policies allows for adaptive course correction and accelerated achievement of results.
Under the guidance of the Officer Data Science, the consultant will assist to develop software to create user interfaces of Pulse Lab projects as computer video games. The consultant will contribute to better communicate Pulse Lab Kampala projects to wide audiences in a user friendly way.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide assistance to design the core features of video games to be used as user interface for Pulse Lab projects. Assist in: Constructing the base or the engine on which the game will run, produce prototypes of gameplay ideas and features, creating simple story lines, game scripts and character biographies, animating characters and objects, contributing to the design and audio features of the game, designing role-play mechanics, creating prototypes and documenting game design process.
- Produce 5 video games with simple story lines, game scripts and character biographies, animating characters and objects;
- create 5 prototypes and document game design process.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience;
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise;
- Is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required;
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Uses time efficiently; is able to meet tight deadlines and to work under pressure.
- Constructive approach to resolution of problems and dedication to providing timely support.
- Strong interest in digital data landscape and emerging discipline of Big Data for Development.
- Excellent oral and written skills;
- Excellent communication skills, organized (dealing with many stakeholders);
- Planning/organizational skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- BsC in Computer Science, Electrical engineering, Statistics, Computational Finance, Economics or related field.
- Familiar with latest technology in video game development.
- At least 2 years of working experience developing computer video games;
- Working knowledge of various programming languages and experience with software development. Experience with Python is an advantage;
- Experience of web application development;
- Experience working with open source data processing frameworks desirable.
- Excellent command of English.
Price proposal and schedule of Payments:
- The consultant will be paid per working day;
- Payment will be made upon submission of monthly invoices, specifying the number of working days spent on each approved case, and providing documentation to support pre-approved expenses.
Evaluation of Proposals (Method and Criteria): Individual Consultants will be evaluated based on the Cumulative Analysis methodology. The ranking of the Project Coordinator shall be made based on proposals that are:
- Responsive/compliant/acceptable; and
- Having received the highest score out of set of weighted technical criteria and financial criteria as per below weightages (technical-financial): 70%-30%.
Financial score shall be computed as a ratio of the proposal being evaluated and the lowest priced proposal received by UNDP for the assignment.
Technical Criteria for Evaluation (Maximum 70 points): Applications will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Relevant education and training (BSc in Computer Science, Electrical engineering, Statistics, Computational Finance, Economics or related field) - Maximum Points 15;
- Relevant work experience of at least two years in developing computer video games - Maximum Points: 30;
- Experience of web application development, - Maximum Points: 10;
- Proficiency in English - Maximum Points: 5;
- Methodology and understanding of assignment - Maximum Points: 10.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points (70% of the total technical points) would be considered for the Financial Evaluation (30%).
Application procedure: The consultant is required to upload an electronic application in one single PDF on the jobs website not later than May 30, 2016. The application should include the following documents/information:
- Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability using the template provided in Annex II;
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate and at least three professional references.
Technical proposal, including:
- A brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment;
- Clear statement of where the Consultant is based;
- Samples of work you consider the best (the candidate must specify if she/he was solely responsible for producing or editing each of the materials);
- Financial proposal, as stating Daily Fee in Ugandan Shillings/United States Dollars. No other costs travels (e.g. for travel) should be included in the financial proposal at this stage.
- Financial proposal that indicates the all-inclusive fixed total contract price, supported by a breakdown of costs, as per template provided (Annex II);
- Annexes 1 and II - may be downloaded from the UNDP Procurement Notices Website - http://procurement-notices.undp.org/ - under reference #.29929. For further clarifications, please contact; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested applicants should submit applications through uploading of all their required documentation in one single pdf document on http://jobs.undp.org (Ref no.66385).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.