Since 1977, Medical Care Development International (MCDI), the international division of US-based not-for profit Medicare Care Development (MCD) uses practical, evidence‐based and high‐impact approaches to strengthen health systems in developing countries and to improve the health of vulnerable populations. MCDI has implemented public health programs in over 40 countries in collaboration with donors, national governments, the private sector, health agencies, communities and local stakeholders to improve health and save lives in the following areas: water, sanitation and hygiene; malaria control; maternal, neonatal and child health; tuberculosis; HIV/AIDS; and other communicable diseases.
We are actively seeking a full-time Assistant Communications Officer, based in the US, to provide support to the International Division in facilitating the implementation of effective communication and marketing strategies. This position will work closely with program staff, field staff and the business development team to promote MCDI online (i.e. social media and website) and in print. The Assistant Communications Officer will also be responsible for the editing and styling of key deliverables among other essential duties and responsibilities.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, English or other social sciences;
· At least 2 years of relevant or progressive experience in communications and marketing;
· Excellent grasp of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram) and other digital tools to successfully engage audiences;
· Excellent writing and communications skills, grammar and command of the English language;
· Experience and proven ability to proofread and review documents for content, structure (outline), and layout and formatting consistency;
· Proven research skills and ability to read through and effectively synthesize large amounts of materials that are technical in nature;
· Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, or InDesign;
· Strong organizational skills, with a solutions-oriented approach to work;
· Ability to learn quickly and efficiently, with self-starter skills to acquire new competencies as needed;
· An understanding of how to nurture relationships online with different types of audiences;
· Effective, proven project and time management skills with an aptitude to always follow through on tasks;
· Knowledge of and interest in the global health sector preferred;
· French, Spanish or Portuguese reading and writing proficiency a plus.
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
NOTE: Must be authorized to work in the United States.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer