The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee.
We work in crises across 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights.
NORCAP, our expert deployment capacity, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
We are looking for an Area Manager Kasai for our DR Congo mission.
NRC has been present in DR Congo since 2001 and currently runs operations in the Provinces of North & South Kivu, Province Oriental and Kasai and Tanganyika Province with offices in Goma, Bukavu, Beni, Bunia, Kananga and Kalemie. The program has an annual turnover of approximately NOK 308M. The DR Congo operation responds to populations affected by conflict and displacement. We reached around 700.000 beneficiaries with education, food security, ICLA, WASH/shelter and Rapid Response Mechanism projects.
The purpose of the Area Manager position is to ensure high quality and cost effective program/project implementation within the designated geographical area.
The Area Manager reports to the Country Director.
- Line management for senior project staff and support functions (and Field Office Coordinators) in the area
- Member of the Country Management Group (CMG)
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Provide area specific input on CC strategies, Country Strategy and Plan of Action
- Organize grants opening and closure meetings at area level
- Implementation of projects (including master support budget and coordinating input for donor proposals and reports) in the area, in compliance with contractual commitments (i.e. quality, synergies, timeliness, use of resources).
- Assess needs, develop emergency response and implement response plans
- Ensure optimal use of resources within the allocated project budgets and CC strategies
- Represent NRC and networking on area level
- Ensure that capacity building is provided to all staff in the area
- Ensure overall security and safety of staff in the area
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Minimum 3 years of experience from working as a Senior Project Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English and French, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of the context in DRC
- Experience from emergency setup
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Managing resources to optimise results
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
- Commencement: As soon as possible
- Duration: 18 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions and free housing of moderate standard.
- Grade: 10
- Duty station: Kasai. 30% travels. DR Congo is a non-family posting. International staff members are required to live in joint accommodation.
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location