Area Coordinator, Chad
Position type and closing date
The closing date for applications is 17 December 2019.
Contract duration: 1 year with possibility for extension.
LWF World Service is the humanitarian and development arm of the Lutheran World Federation. We are a widely recognized, international, faith-based organization working in over 20 countries. We seek to bring people of all backgrounds together in the common quest for justice, peace, and reconciliation in an increasingly complex and fragmented world.
A commitment to the human rights of every individual, regardless of their status, guides our work, actions, and operations. We are particularly known for our timely, compassionate, and professional humanitarian work, and for our field presence in hard-to-reach areas. Our work is people-centered and community- based. Above all, we work with the most vulnerable, and in order to claim and uphold their rights, we engage proactively with local government and community structures.
Since 2007 LWF Chad provides support to displaced communities like refugees, returnees internal displaced people and Chadian host communities.
As reflected in the LWF Chad Country strategy (2019-2024), LWF Chad aims to improve self-reliance of displaced communities and host communities through increasing the livelihood by agricultural activities, income generating activities and vocational training programs. Together with other local and international partners, LWF aims to improve livelihoods peaceful coexistence with strong commitment towards accountability and community participation.
For additional information please see www.lutheranworld.org/WorldService
Purpose of the position
To coordinate and maintain strong relationships with UNHCR in Chad, LWF Chad as key implementing partner of UNHCR is looking for an area coordinator. UNHCR helps the LWF to protect and support refugees and host communities in 6 different regions which are all bordering the Central African Republic and Sudan (Darfur) respectively (Ouaddai, Sila, Salamat, Moyen-Chari, Mandoul, Logone oriental).
English advanced written and oral skills required
French would be an additional asset
The Area Coordinator (AC) will be based in Farchana or Gore. The AC will be responsible for quality implementation, coordination and management of all aspect of the UNHCR project. He/she and will be supervised by the Program Coordinator based in N’Djamena. More specifically the duties and responsibilities shall include the following:
- Ensure that LWFs current and future work is within the framework of the LWF Chad country strategy (2019-2024).
- Regularly analyze the context and identify new opportunities for intervention.
- Plan and coordinate activities in close collaboration with local authorities, UNHCR Field Offices and other NGOs working in the region.
Ensure that the LWF Country Management Team is informed about the program implementation.
Liaise and closely collaborate with the Chadian government, OCHA, UNHCR, UNWFP, national NGO’s and INGOs in the project areas to ensure and promote a coordinated approach to project implementation (including participation in relevant workshops and meetings), and to keep individual staff members updated and informed.
Ensure that LWF is represented in key clusters, working groups, NGO coordination bodies.
- Oversee planning and interventions related to food security, livestock production, vegetable gardening, income generating activities, environment and (green) energy, food distribution and vocational trainings in the refugee camps and host villages.
- Oversee progress related to the program objectives in the area and the crosscutting element (gender, climate justice, child safeguarding and protection).
- Lead and participate in Livelihoods assessments of the local community to implement development activities.
- Ensure that donor proposals, budgets and reports are of high quality, up to date and delivered in a timely manner in accordance with LWF/UNHCR policies/procedures, donor requirements and for other interested parties.
- In collaboration with other partners, ensure that the sites are maintained in a way which ensures a dignified living environment for the refugees, upholding Sphere standards to the highest degree possible, and ensuring that refugees are involved in all elements of site maintenance, planning, evaluation and development.
- Ensure that situation reports, i.e. related to security, personnel, program activities, are of high quality and in timely shared with the Program Coordinator.
- Monitor project staff needs, ensuring that position descriptions are updated accordingly. Active involvement in recruitment process to ensure qualified staff are hired, inducted and trained.
- Manage their own Project Team with particular emphasis on capacity building of staff through mentoring and training.
- Ensure that all staff are provided with the necessary support and advice to carry out their duties.
- Create or encourage a good work atmosphere or space for staff where staff feels well to share opinion and assumptions.
- Be a model regarding staff management, accountability, Code of Conduct, gender and Climate justice.
Quality and Accountability
- Ensure programme quality adheres to LWF and UNHCR standards, policies and guidelines.
- Ensure community participation, sensitization and collaboration in program activities.
- Conduct frequent monitoring visits to project sites to assess activities and ensure efficient use of resources.
- Ensure timely procurement strictly applying the rules spelled out in the LWF procurement manual.
- Monitor and manage programme expenditure and budgets, ensuring resources are optimally utilized and spending is in line with LWF financial procedures and donor requirements and that the materials and assets of the organization are properly used and maintained.
- Analyze the security context at area level and in close collaboration with the Program Coordinator, the Security Focal Point and the Country Representative.
- Address security and safety risks by implementing LWF standard operating procedures.
- Being flexible when other responsibilities are assigned to her/him by the Program Coordinator.
- Ensure that LWF’s complaints mechanisms are well known by staff, disseminate at the community level and well used.
Applicants are required to uphold the core values of our organization.