Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting respect by armed non-State actors (ANSAs) for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence, in particular those related to the protection of civilians. Geneva Call is currently focusing its efforts on banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children from the effects of armed conflict, prohibiting sexual violence in armed conflict and working towards the elimination of gender discrimination.
Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit humanitarian organization founded in 1998 under Swiss law.
The Legal and Thematic Officer contributes to the implementation of Geneva Call’s operational strategy by providing thematic and legal expertise on issues related to international humanitarian law (IHL) and international human rights law (IHRL). She/he also contributes to the development of Geneva Call’s policies and tools related to operations, supports internal capacity-building, research and knowledge management and represents Geneva Call in relevant expert meetings. The Legal and Thematic Officer will work with the Regional Support Unit of Geneva Call, based in Beirut, and report to the Regional Legal and Policy Coordinator
Support field operations:
- Provide expertise and advice to Geneva Call’s staff on legal/thematic issues and community-based protection work.
- Build the capacity of Geneva Call’s staff and partners on legal/thematic issues and community-based protection work.
- Support operational activities (community protection activities, training activities, workshops, meetings, etc.) as required.
Internal development and research:
- Contribute to the development of Geneva Call’s community-based protection work.
- Contribute to policy development and support knowledge management and learning within Geneva Call.
- Further adapt and support the development of Geneva Call’s training and dissemination material.
- Conduct research on thematic/legal issues, as required.
- Prepare project proposals, budgets and donor reports.
- Contribute to fundraising efforts.
- Perform administrative tasks, as required.
External representation and communication:
- Organize expert meetings/events and write articles in relevant journals.
- Follow up on legal/thematic issues and processes and represent Geneva Call, where appropriate, in relevant expert meetings, seminars and conferences.
- Maintain and develop contacts with experts on thematic/legal issues and liaise with relevant stakeholders and partners.
- Develop and implement communication activities, such as campaigns, events and other initiatives on different thematic areas.
- Advanced university degree in a relevant field (international public law, political science, international relations, or related field) with a specialization in IHL and IHRL
Generic skills / competencies
- At least 5 years of work experience in protection issues; relevant field experience in conflict areas is a significant asset.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Excellent English and Arabic language skills (written and oral).
Specific skills / competences
- Good knowledge of community-based protection approaches and design.
- Proven experience in legal analysis, research and training in the humanitarian field.
- Excellent writing and reporting skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Willingness to travel frequently to high-risk locations, including conflict areas.
- Demonstrable computer literacy, including the MS package.
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
Conflict of Interest
Any candidate affiliated to or openly supporting one or more interest groups contrary to the principles and values of the Foundation, or whose previous activity could cause difficulties for the safety of women and men co-workers at Geneva Call will be excluded from this selection process. The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the Geneva Call Performance Management guidelines. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- Job Description
- Action plan
- Performance Review Template
- Position: Full-time
- Contract until Dec 2019 (renewable), based in Beirut, with travels in the region.
- Preferred start date: as soon as possible