Under the guidance and supervision of the Head of the Mission, the Administrative Clerk provides support to office operations performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administrative Clerk promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Administrative Clerk works in close collaboration with the Management, Administration and Programme staff in the UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine (HRMMU) and other UN agencies staff as well as with external partners to ensure consistent service delivery.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies;
- Support to effective and efficient functioning of the HRMMU office;
- Support to administrative and logistical services.
Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/HRMMU rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the HRMMU office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Receives visitors and handles incoming phone calls as the first point of contact of HRMMU;
- Arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes;
- Compilation and preparation of briefing and presentation materials, speeches, background information and documentation for meetings and missions;
- Translation of simple correspondence, when needed;
- Provision of support to maintenance of common premises and common services.
Ensures effective administrative and logistical support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of routine correspondence, faxes, memoranda and reports in accordance with Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) Standard Operating Procedures (SOP);
- Arrangements of travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents, in particular for the Head of Mission;
- Administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats;
- Arrangement of vehicle transportation;
- Acting as a custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution;
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials;
- Extraction of data from various sources;
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports;
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to Head of Mission;
- Other duties as may be assigned by supervisor.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the HRMMU office administrative/logistical services in terms of quality and accuracy of work completed.. Accurate data entry, presentation of information and client-oriented approach strengthens the capacity of the HRMMU office and promotes the image of UN as an effective contributor to the development of the country.
- People Management;
- Client Orientation;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties related to general administration support Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints;
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of clerical, administrative, secretarial best practices and procedures, in-depth knowledge of office software applications relating to word processing data management presentation, ATLAS, as required;
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities.
- Collects and compiles data with speed and accuracy identifying what is relevant and discarding what is not, records it in an accessible manner and maintains data bases;
- Thoroughly and methodically collects, verifies and records data demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors on own initiative;
- Transmits file data; creates and generate queries, reports and documents utilizing databases, spreadsheets, communications and other software packages with speed and accuracy;
- Interprets data, draws conclusions and/or identifies patterns which support the work of others;
Managing Documents, Correspondence and Reports
- Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software;
- Edits, formats and provides inputs to correspondence, reports, documents and/or presentations using work processing, spreadsheets and databases meeting quality standards and requiring minimal correction;
- Shows sound grasp of grammar, spelling and structure in the required language;
- Ensures correspondence, reports and documents comply with established UN standards;
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard.
Planning, Organizing and Multi-Tasking
- Organizes and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships;
- Plans, coordinates and organizes workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines;
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs;
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support.
- Secondary education. Certification in administration is desirable.
- 4 years of relevant experience in administration, secretariat, program support service or other related field;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems is desirable.
- Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension