Under the guidance and supervision of the Head of the Office, the Administrative Assistant provides support to office operations performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administrative Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Administrative Assistant works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and projects staff in the UNODC CO and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies in accordance with the practices of UNODC Global programmes management (The Global Action to Prevent and Address Trafficking in Persons and the Smuggling of Migrants (HTMSS and GLO.ACT); the Global HIV/AIDS programme (GLOG32), UNODC-WHO Programme on Drug Dependence Treatment and Care (GLOK32);
- Support to human resources services within the on-going UNODC programmes (GLO.ACT and GLOK32 GLOG32);
- Support to administrative and logistical services in cooperation with and compliant with two UNODC global programmes requirements;
- Support to finance services within the on-going UNODC programmes (GLO.ACT and GLOK32, GLOG32);
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs);
- Provision of inputs to preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
Ensures effective and efficient support to human resources services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support in initiating, review, processing and following-up on actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities, including recruitment of personnel (and consultants), selection, relocation, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UN/UNDP rules and procedures;
- Maintenance of personnel files;
- Maintenance of continued cooperation with UNDP in coordination of all HR-related issues.
Ensures effective administrative and logistical support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation, processing and follow-up on administrative arrangements and forms related to the official travel of the staff including arrangements of travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents for operational/duty travels;
- Administrative and logistical support to conferences, workshops, retreats;
- Assistance in administering contracts between UN and external contractors for outsourced services;
- Maintains coordination and liaising with service units at both levels, HQ and local level including routine communication in respect of relevant administrative, financial audit, personnel matters or other with respective parties;
- Assistance in arranging working space, maintaining the office equipment and facilities, including arrangements and proper documentation for UN ground passes, custom clearances, parking permits, access cards, keys, etc;
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
Ensures effective financial support to office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assistance in the preparation of budget, provision of information for audit, including monitoring expenditures inline with approved budget, adjusting as necessary, preparing the budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports;
- Assistance to managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions;
- Assistance in maintaining the contractor’s reports against the goods and services provided vs approved; proceeding with payments of the invoices and monitoring the payments;
- Preparation or customization of financial reports from Umoja system generated reports;
- Coordination with other finance and budget staff on related issues on financial matter of the office including preparation of budget reports;
- Maintenance of the respective financial files and records.
Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the unit. Accurate presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the office and promotes the image of UN/UNODC as an effective contributor to the development of the country.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems.
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Responds to client needs promptly.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Secondary education. Certification in administration desirable.
- 5 years of relevant experience in administration, programme and/or operations support service or related field;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.). Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English and Ukrainian is required. Knowledge of Russian language is desirable.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS/NOA categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 4 months with possibility of extension