|Deadline for Applications||4 November 2017 (20 days left)|
|Issuance Date||4 October 2017|
|Organ / Section||OFFICE OF THE CHAMBERS / Appeals & President's Office|
|Depending on professional background, experience and family situation, a competitive compensation and benefits package will be offered. The successful applicant will be offered a fixed-term appointment of one year duration limited to the Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL). Any subsequent extension(s) are subject to terms of the Tribunal's mandate and/or the availability of the funds. The Special Tribunal for Lebanon is an international inter-governmental organization with its own independent legal identity and not a UN organization. However, STL follows the UN common system for benefits and entitlements to its staff members. UN staff members may also serve on loan from their parent department/office, if selected.|
The recruitment process may include a pre-selection procedure, written tests and interviews to assess levels of competency.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for this particular profile as a result of this selection process for both fixed-term established and general temporary assistance posts.
It is not necessary at this stage to send copies of qualifications, previous employment contracts, entire publications, etc.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Only applicants who are under serious consideration will be contacted. The Tribunal is not in a position to respond to queries regarding information on the status of vacancies or unsolicited open applications.
The tribunal reserves the right not to make any appointment to this vacancy, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description. All applications will be handled with strictest confidentiality.
*The English version of this vacancy announcement is authentic. The French and Arabic version, if available, is not an official translation and is provided for information purposes only.
|Under the supervision of the President of the Tribunal, the Chef de Cabinet and the Appeals Chamber (Senior) Legal Officer, the incumbent performs a wide range of office support and administrative functions as follows:|
• Prepare and finalise responses to correspondence and organise logistics for distribution or delivery.
• Organise transport and arrange accommodation for Judges for their official travels.
• Proof-read and format a wide variety of official and internal documents, ensuring accuracy as well as appropriate communication and distribution.
• Maintain calendar/schedules, monitor changes and communicate relevant information to Judges and appropriate staff members inside and outside the immediate work unit. Follow-up on pending actions.
• Provide secretarial, administrative and logistical support to meetings, boards, committees, conferences and other in-house events.
• Research, compile and organise information and reference materials from various sources for reports, work plans, studies, briefings, meetings/conferences, etc.
• Handle telephone calls and enquiries, and refer them to the appropriate Judge or staff member.
• Receive and make necessary arrangements for Chambers' visitors. Coordinate transportation when Judges or staff members have official meetings outside the Tribunal.
• Coordinate shipping arrangements, mail delivery and courier services.
• Serve as Leave Monitor for the Appeals Chamber. Prepare and update leave and attendance records for Judges and staff members.
• Prepare administrative requests/documents (e.g. travel requests, travel claims, translation requests, visa applications, etc.).
• Maintain files, both paper and electronic.
• Assist in providing office equipment, support, technology support and stationery for Judges and staff members of the Appeals Chamber.
• Perform other general administrative tasks as assigned
|Knowledge and Skills|
|• Professionalism - Knowledge of general office and administrative support including administrative policies, processes and procedures. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Demonstrates capacity to think outside the box and be flexible; is resourceful and proactive. Has good judgment and knows how to handle confidential information. Can make sensible decisions under stressful situations and is able to work under minimal supervision. |
• Communication - Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Teamwork - Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; shares credit for team accomplishments; is willing to support and provide back-up for others when needed; accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
• Planning & Organising - Identifies priority activities and assignments; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Client Orientation - Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
• Technological Awareness - Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
|• Education: High school diploma or equivalent. Post secondary coursework, training and/or certification as an administrative assistant/secretary is highly desirable; demonstrated ability to use computer technology with competence in Microsoft Word, Excel and Lotus Notes.|
• Work Experience: At least five years of progressively responsible experience in a demanding front- office setting. Experience with an international tribunal is desirable.
• Languages: Arabic, English and French are the official languages of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon. For this post, proficiency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of French and Dutch will be considered an asset