General Description of the Programme:
GOAL an International Humanitarian Organisation has had a presence in Turkey since 2013 and has been contributing to the migrant response since 2016 with a focus on responding to needs in health service delivery, social safety nets and the protection of vulnerable and marginalised migrants in southern Turkey.
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governate, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households.
As a part of GOAL Syria’s Accountability Department, Accountability Team Members (Aleppo) support GOAL Syria’s Community Complaints and Response Mechanism (CCRM), registration of new beneficiaries and verification of existing beneficiaries in Aleppo to ensure that food, non-food item, cash and voucher assistance reaches most vulnerable families. Key functions of this position include:
- Receive and respond to complaints, feedback and requests in a timely and respectful manner as part of GOAL Syria’s CCRM in Aleppo;
- Registration and verification of new and existing beneficiaries as part of GOAL Syria’s programme in Aleppo;
- Carrying out household visits and collecting information through observation and interviews to verify household compliance with beneficiary selection criteria;
- Communicating with Local Councils and Relief Committees and informing them about GOAL programme and GOAL beneficiary selection criteria; and
- Collecting the notes and comments from the field.
Duties, objectives and competencies
Post holders will be responsible for the following duties in relation to complaints response and beneficiary registration/verification:
- Work closely with accountability team leader and sector staff to ensure understanding of project specific information to be shared with beneficiaries.
- Support beneficiaries through information sharing relating to their rights and services provided by GOAL upon request.
- Refer beneficiaries per subject needs in terms of information requested (I/NGO contact details, medical assistance, legal assistance etc.)
- Contribute as a Team Member to registration/verification as outlined above.
- Security: support the Team Leader by providing security information and updates received from Team Members, camp residents and camp managers.
- Ensure that all stages of the registration and verification processes and documents are filled in and given to the Team Leader on a daily basis.
- Assist the Team Leader with planning the daily and weekly work for the Team.
Provide information to the Team Leader for the daily update at the end of each day including:
Security situation in the camps;
Registration/verification progress made during the day compared to the plan;
Any difficulties encountered and how they were overcome;
Status of documents and deadlines for the documents to be completed; and
Observations about other organisations doing relief/ humanitarian work in the camps where GOAL works.
Receive complaints and feedback through a variety of mechanisms, including:
- Field visits to meet with stakeholders
- Reception at the office
- Answering the hotline
- Receiving WhatsApp messages
Register incoming complaints/feedback requiring internal follow-up with appropriate offices and sectors, and update status of each complaint in the Complaints Database.
Respond to frequently asked questions according to an approved script.
Ensure a proper documentation for referrals received from each sector.
Work closely with accountability team leader to collect feedback from sector about referred complaints.
Identify serious complaints and communicate them directly through the appropriate response mechanism, handling them confidentially and discreetly.
Carry out additional responsibilities; supporting the field distribution as help desk.
Carry out additional task as assigned by the Line Manager.
In addition to the above, the Accountability Team Member (Aleppo) is required to abide by and uphold the Core Humanitarian Standards in the execution of his/her duties.
- Bachelor degree / Undergraduate (last year minimum)
- Ability to work inside Syria
- 1 year or more work experience
- Flexible about working long hours
- Detail oriented and strong clerical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact well with people of all backgrounds, excellent relationship building skills
- Good communication skills (written, spoken) in Arabic
- Availability to travel for up to 80% of the time, work and stay overnight in programme areas
- Prepared to work in an insecure environment
- Previous experience working with NGOs
- Computer skills (MS Word and Excel)
- Previous experience with beneficiary verification, selection or registration in an emergency context
- Previous survey experience in any setting
- Knowledge of and training in the Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS)
Application deadline is 27 May 2019.
General terms and conditions
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
Interested? Then apply for this position via clicking on the "apply now" button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.