To support monitoring and implementation of activities for the Office of the Prime Minister and the Serbian Development Agency (SDA) related to attracting foreign direct investments (FDI).
To ensure results oriented, effective, efficient and accountable implementation of the project activities and achievement of planned results.
c. Background Information
Improving investment climate plays a central role in growth and poverty reduction. To improve the institutional infrastructure for supporting the development of business environment in Serbia, the Serbian Development Agency (RAS) was established in 2015. Despite the promising progress in attracting more direct investments, Serbian business climate continues to be a disincentive to foreign investments. In addition, the recently established RAS is lacking some critical structures and procedures to effectively attract new investments and manage the existing projects.
The overall objective of the “Improving the Investment Climate in Serbia” project is to support the effective coordination of all institutions in the Republic of Serbia, relevant for improvement of the investment climate. The core of the activities relates to capacitating of RAS to improve the investment climate in Serbia by focusing support on the four main areas: legislation and regulatory framework, capacity of investment promotion team of RAS, investment project management and marketing and awareness-raising. In the framework of Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), the project will contribute to the SDG 8: Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
Measurable outputs of the work assignment
Overall responsibilities: The Technical Advisor is responsible for day-to-day monitoring of activities and providing substantive guidance in the Investment Climate component of the “Management of Citizen-Centric Policy Measures – Office of the Prime Minister” project from a business enabling perspective.
Specific responsibilities will include the following:
- Maintain regular communication with relevant line Ministries, implementation agencies, local authorities and other involved stakeholders in order to advise the PMO of developments concerning the portfolio of projects and provide recommendations for action;
- Monitor the work of consultants engaged, provide guidance and peer review of monthly reports on individual projects, and approve consultants’ monthly progress reports;
- Monitor progress of all projects in the portfolio, advise on overall coordination, provide analysis of options and risks and develop aggregated reports with recommendations for action;
- Provide substantive advice to the Office of the Prime Minister and UNDP on key issues in the project area;
- Develop and manage in coordination with partners the overall implementation strategy for activities in the Investment Climate component;
- Provide inputs for project work plans and project reports (semiannual progress reports and final report) and their presentation to the National Project Director/Project Board for review/approval;
- Maintain good cooperation and coordination between national counterparts, project partners and other relevant stakeholders;
- Identify, collect and analyze relevant policy-related information and data;
- Prepare briefs, talking points and relevant materials;
- Draft terms of reference for consultants and project personnel;
- Actively participate in and coordinate meetings, training sessions, conferences and public promotion of projects;
- As required, prepare official correspondence for national and international partners.
Perform other duties as required.
Performance Indicators for evaluation of results
- Project outputs delivered within the acceptable tolerances of time, cost and quality;
- Regular contact with relevant Ministries, other stakeholders and beneficiaries maintained;
- Inputs for reports and Annual Workplans developed on time in line with quality standards;
- Team learning and knowledge management organized as a part of project cycle.
- Good application of Results-Based Management;
- Good communication, coordination and facilitation skills;
- Consistently ensures timeliness and quality of project work;
- Establishes lasting relationships and substantive dialogue with clients;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling ethical standards.
Minimum BA (MA preferred) in the field of Business, Economics or other related field.
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience, with at least 5 years in a high-level administration, public policy formulation, analysis or strategic and management advisory services in investment promotion;
- At least 4 years of experience in managing teams and complex projects/processes that included extensive communication, coordination and facilitation requirements;
- Experience in partnership building at international, national, regional and local level;
- Experience in organization building and developing working processes;
- The following specific experiences will be considered as an asset: experience in FDI projects; experience working in an international organization; experience working with government institutions at central and local level; experience in managing projects and providing technical advice in the area of investment promotion.
- Excellent understanding of Serbia's political, institutional, and socio-economic situation;
- Thorough knowledge of the national institutional and legal framework and public sector policy implementation processes;
- Understanding of current policies and implementation processes in creating enabling environments for business development.
- Proven leadership skills, ability to organize and motivate team, deliver when working under pressure and within changing circumstances;
- Excellent writing/reporting and presentation skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, networking and team building skills.
Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Serbian and English.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 6 months with possibility for extension