With China’s growing role in global development, the work of South-South & Global Development Cooperation of UNDP China has significantly increased. The intern will join the South-South Cooperation Team as a valuable member. He or she will be exposed to various development issues, particularly related to China’s South-South cooperation, and use his or her knowledge and skills to perform a range of tasks (more details as below), both analytical and administrative.
Duties and Responsibilities
Main responsibilities are:
- Facilitate knowledge-sharing on South-South cooperation, including translation of documents between English and Chinese;
- Prepare newsletters and help draft issue briefs and other UNDP publications;
- Contribute to develop visual communications products such as PowerPoint presentations, and other visual media including infographics;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of targeted social media campaigns for South-South cooperation;
- Assist with administrative tasks related to the management of research projects, trilateral cooperation projects, and communications projects;
- Assist with the organization of meetings, workshops and seminars, and note taking when requested; actively participate in various events;
- Other duties as assigned, including cross-team tasks when required.
By the end of the internship, the intern is expected to have:
- Increased his or her understanding of South-South cooperation, human development, and other international development-related policy issues;
- Successfully helped the South-South Cooperation Team to reach its goals by contributing to the tasks described in the “Main Responsibilities” section;
- Produced or contributed to the production of knowledge products, such as communications materials, project documents, and policy papers;
- Strengthened communication knowledge skills with a number of communication products, such as infographics, videos, etc.
The intern will be expected to work as part of a team and who:
1.Strives to achieve results:
- Is flexible and adaptable to changing work requirements and has the flexibility to work on a variety of projects under pressure;
- Has sound analytical, communication, and research skills;
- Is organized and efficient.
2.Supports productive working relationships:
- Participates proactively as part of a team to achieve goals;
- Shares ideas and information and actively seeks guidance and support from other colleagues;
- Has excellent interpersonal skills and good sense of team work.
3.Displays personal drive and integrity:
- Enthusiastically engages in different tasks and take initiatives;
- Behaves professionally and ethically at all times.
4.Thinks outside the box
- Actively seeks to improve programmes and services;
- Promotes and persuades others to consider innovative ideas;
- Knowledge of social media platforms and effective social media communication strategies;
- Strong competency in graphic design and publishing software, such as Adobe Illustrator and InDesign;
Required Skills and Experience
The intern should have direct relevant academic or professional experience (including but not limited to development, international relations, professional training on Chinese-English translation/interpretation, journalism and communication, diplomacy, economics, and any social sciences related disciplines etc.), be innovative, self-motivated, and results-oriented. The internship duration and hours may be flexible in order to fit the team’s work plan as well as the schedule of the most outstanding candidate.
We are looking for an intern who is fluent in Putonghua (Mandarin) and English, both written and spoken. He or she must be enrolled in a Master’s level degree, preferably with a focus on international development, Translation/Interpretation, English, Communications, Journalism, Design or Marketing, or other social sciences disciplines.